Ground covering for my run

You're definitely better off building your own coop for optimum flock health. The ventilation design in that coop was horrible anyway. If you have a gable roof you'll want both gable peak vents (and/or ridge vent) AND eave vents. Rule of thumb: 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird but no drafts in the roosting and nesting areas.

One tip I got a lot and was skeptical of was "Build it big enough that you can walk into it." Skepticism aside I built mine that way because it's not like it was much more difficult than building a low profile coop. Now that I have a walk-in coop, I can't imagine NOT having one that way :)

A big point of caution on wood chips: make sure they are well aged and dried before you load them into the run.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dying-chickens.1129854/

Sadly, this BYC user lost half his flock to aspergillosis by using green wood chips under warm, humid conditions, which I'm sure you have all the time. Those three factors combined can be dangerous.

I'm going to do wood chips in my run and attached "chicken garden" (500 sq ft) but it's going take a year of chip curing so I've got one more winter and mud season to manage with dried leaves and straw. Sigh...

BTW another option for both cover and feed is to try growing oats and buckwheat both (but not together in the same space) in the run and in any space that's available that you're not doing anything with. They both grow super fast, are great in poor soil, are highly nutritious and chickens LOVE them. Buckwheat is just a great ground cover, pollinator attractant, and all-around chicken snack. It won't keep at all, it's only useful green (if you harvest the grain it's very nutritous). But oats are a great snack for them green, or just gone to seed. However if you cut it and dry it, it makes a fantastic straw. Much faster, easier and cheaper than other cereals. If both are left to go to seed they will likely volunteer again; they are quite prolific.

Good luck!

Or at the very least you could call Aleko and since they are also the seller on Amazon try to get some money back so you're only paying what they charge on their own site. I hope they go for it... still I'm sure you'll be able to increase the coop and run size and make it work out.

I just talked to my friend and what Ill probably do is use the coop that I purchased and extend and widen the run and add another coop on the other end for a couple birds thus giving me the capacity. He free ranges his eight birds. He also willing to take my birds if I decide not to keep the 7. We don't have too many threats here other than cats and mongoose. We don't hear of any chickens getting eaten by cats or mongoose. Mahalo for all the good advice.

I just talked to my friend and what Ill probably do is use the coop that I purchased and extend and widen the run and add another coop on the other end for a couple birds thus giving me the capacity. He free ranges his eight birds. He also willing to take my birds if I decide not to keep the 7. We don't have too many threats here other than cats and mongoose. We don't hear of any chickens getting eaten by cats or mongoose. Mahalo for all the good advice.
Sounds like a good plan!

I am planning to put the chicken coop and run on grass. The weather here doesn't have the fluctuations like on the mainland. I was wondering what type of material or if any do I put in the run and how high of base do I need to build for the coop and run.
If your coop and run is in a fixed position (ie not a movable “tractor” type run) then in my experience the best covering is hardwood chips. I get mine from the local tree surgeon in exchange for a bottle of whiskey! I do mine about 2-3” deep. Many people advise on sharp sand as a good run covering; I’ve tried it and wouldn’t recommend it unless it’s under cover and a minimum of 8 inches deep. Straw and wood shavings are no good outside although would be fine in the coop.

Straw and wood shavings are no good outside although would be fine in the coop.
Every area is different, straw and pine shavings (also leaves, yard waste, etc.) work great for me in both the coop and the run. I think the key is having a good mix of varied materials in varied sizes. That's what really kickstarted the deep litter composting in my set up. If a coop doesn't have a dirt floor, adding some partially broken down material from the run will inoculate it with good microbes.

In Hawaii, I'd imagine leaf litter would be easy to come by, would work brilliantly and be free.

Every area is different, straw and pine shavings (also leaves, yard waste, etc.) work great for me in both the coop and the run. I think the key is having a good mix of varied materials in varied sizes. That's what really kickstarted the deep litter composting in my set up. If a coop doesn't have a dirt floor, adding some partially broken down material from the run will inoculate it with good microbes.

In Hawaii, I'd imagine leaf litter would be easy to come by, would work brilliantly and be free.

Lol! Yes the neighbor behind me doesn't take care of their yard. Its full of leaves. The free range chickens in my neighborhood are always back there rummaging through the leaves. I didn't know that they could be used for bedding. Bonus. Mahalo

Lol! Yes the neighbor behind me doesn't take care of their yard. Its full of leaves. The free range chickens in my neighborhood are always back there rummaging through the leaves. I didn't know that they could be used for bedding. Bonus. Mahalo
I doubt you'll have to spend anything at all on bedding ever, lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom