Ground mold in enclosed run area... ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by poquitogallito, Jan 16, 2009.

1. poquitogallito

poquitogallito New Egg

Dec 21, 2008
    California
    So, my coop is connected to a 9'x9' enclosed pen and I have been noticing that underneath the things within the pen (ie the waterer, feeder, a few small logs, etc.) a white fuzzy mold likes to grow. Normally whenever I move something I stamp it out and smear it around but I am wondering if you guys think this could be a problem? Any ideas on fixing it or should I just not worry? the chickens (3 of them) get out to range a good deal during the day (most days).

(I figure its because its damp this time of year where I live and I should probably move the coop and pen around a bit to give the chickens new, fresh dirt to scratch around in)

Thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, [​IMG]

I'm not sure about the fuzzy stuff, I've had it here, too.
    Let's see what the "old-timers" say! [​IMG]

3. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Mold will grow on almost anything with high enough humidity.If you can raise these items off of the ground the increased circulation should do he job.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Stall-Dri or Stable Boy powder should change the acidity there and solve this...these products are safe around chickens. Light sprinkle when you change the water should suffice and raising the waterers will too, and will increase the number of years you get out of them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by