Groundhogs a threat?

AMA Chick

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Glasgow KY
I'm working on 2 coops, one for silkies/showgirls, and one for easter eggers.

When I was scrounging in the wood pile behind the equipment barn, I saw a groundhog go into a hole under the pile.

This isn't very far from where the new coops will be. Should I be worried about the groundhog? Should I try to eliminate him before letting my chickens free range?

Thanks!

Groundhogs eat mostly vegetation, although they will also eat grubs and insects. They won't be a threat to your chickens.

Last edited:
Don't bother having a garden! They never bothered my hens,but destroyed my yard ,AND chewed a hole through my chainlink fence.

Do keep in mind that groundhogs, in digging their dens, can undermine the foundations of buildings. Also, females have been known to go after even adults while protecting their babies, and can certainly hurt a child.

Do keep in mind that groundhogs, in digging their dens, can undermine the foundations of buildings. Also, females have been known to go after even adults while protecting their babies, and can certainly hurt a child. 

Good reminder! I don't think it is hurting anything where it is, but I will double check!

I gave up having a garden a long time ago! I hate pulling weeds:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom