Groundhogs a threat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AMA Chick, Jun 3, 2012.

1. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chirping

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    I'm working on 2 coops, one for silkies/showgirls, and one for easter eggers.

When I was scrounging in the wood pile behind the equipment barn, I saw a groundhog go into a hole under the pile.

This isn't very far from where the new coops will be. Should I be worried about the groundhog? Should I try to eliminate him before letting my chickens free range?

Thanks!

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Songster

Dec 7, 2011
    Groundhogs eat mostly vegetation, although they will also eat grubs and insects. They won't be a threat to your chickens.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Songster

Feb 8, 2012
    :hmm A groundhog? Yes...as trefoil said, they are not going to go after chickens of any sort.

4. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chirping

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Thanks, he will be allowed to stay then...

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    Don't bother having a garden! They never bothered my hens,but destroyed my yard ,AND chewed a hole through my chainlink fence.

6. CountryKitty

CountryKitty In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    Do keep in mind that groundhogs, in digging their dens, can undermine the foundations of buildings. Also, females have been known to go after even adults while protecting their babies, and can certainly hurt a child.

7. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chirping

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY

Good reminder! I don't think it is hurting anything where it is, but I will double check!

I gave up having a garden a long time ago! I hate pulling weeds:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: