1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Group of just drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NinjaHamster15, Jan 24, 2009.

1. NinjaHamster15

NinjaHamster15 New Egg

Jan 10, 2009
    Hanover, NH
    Hi. I've been searching around a lot and I can't find much information on keeping groups of drakes together, without any females. Does anyone know if you can keep a group of just male ducks together without fighting? I want about six runners.
    I've always liked ducks and I'm training my border collie mix to herd so they could be good practice for him. We have a lot of space and a pond that could be cleared out a little to make a nice duck pond.
    I want just males mostly because I have read they are quieter. Also, I read somewhere that they are better for herding. I don't know why that would be, though... Maybe they don't panic as easily?
    Anyway, does anyone know if a group of male runner ducks could live together happily without any girls?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Males will try to fight in the spring, but if there arent any hens around maybe they wont fight. In dec. i sold a group of 4 male call ducks to somebody who uses them for herding.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Keeping only males is something like prison (not they I know first hand). The weakest one usually becomes "the girl".[​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Having a flock of drakes is fine. In fact, a lot of people keep all drake flocks because the males tend to be more colorful than the females. They are also quieter.

They won't fight amongst each other except for occasional duck squabbles that sort themselves out.

They will mate with each other, though and you may have to watch that the low drake on the totem pole is not overabused. This is perfectly normal, but I am telling you because it sometimes distresses those who are not expecting it.

5. NinjaHamster15

NinjaHamster15 New Egg

Jan 10, 2009
    Hanover, NH
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by