Group panic attacks

Hatrick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
So I've been turning off their light at night to give them a better understanding of what living in their outdoor coop is going to be like, and as soon as I do it becomes very loud. They all start chirping really loud and freaking out and jumping up onto the side of the brooder. This goes on for 15 minutes before they all fall asleep. If they do this in the house when the lights go out, what's going to happen tonight when I put the out permanently? Is there anyway to make this transition easier?

You are plunging them into total darkness, if they were able to do it naturally the sun goes down slowly giving them time to find a place for the night next to the guy they likeLOL
Easy fix just let the lights go out before the sun goes down all the way. Did that make sense?

oh.. poor babies.. I remember that stage very well
smile.png
How old are they? I'm assuming they're old enough not to have any heat on them (its pretty warm now..but still - if young peeps, they do need to be warm).

We rectified this by turning on a small night light furthest away from their cage they were in. They squawked a bit at first, but eventually they settled down. As the days went on, we eventually just did away with the light all together and yes, they cried a bit, but they settled down. I also sat beside them when we took the lights completely away and did this crazy "Peep peep peeeeppp" imitation (and might I add very poorly)
gig.gif
but... they've grown up with it and now answer to "peep peep" or "chook chook"

Hang in there.. they'll get used to it all - just sit with them for a bit and quietly talk to them. They'll calm down.
hugs.gif

Yes, that is what we did too...just turn the light off a couple of hours before it gets dark out. If you are putting them in the coop tonite, is there a way to put a dim night light in there for now?

Yeah I've been turning it off about an hour before the sun goes down but I guess they'll just have to get used to it. They're going to have to learn to love their coop as much as their brooder.
smile.png

They're six and a half weeks old. Hey, another quick question...when to they change over from that little chick "peep" to the more womanly "clucking"?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom