Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Definitely post pics and weight the Big Boy tomatoes. I am going to way my Mr. Stripeys if they ever grow. We have Black Cherry tomatoes as well that I am waiting for.

Best part of my garden will be that I am going to collect most of the seeds and reuse them year after year.
The tomatoes I have are hybrids, so no seed saving, but I am going to get cuttings before the end of the year and overwinter in the house to put back out next spring. I have a 20 gallon aquarium that isn't doing anything with a heater and lighting setup. It'll work well to hydroponic some plants over the winter.

My List of Available Seeds:

• Bush Champion Cucumber
  • Muncher Cucumber
  • National Pickling Cucumber
  • Pickling Cucumber

• Black Beauty Eggplant
  • Long Purple Eggplant
  • Waltham Broccoli
  • Snowball Cauliflower

• Purple Beauty Pepper
  • Serrano Chili
  • Hungarian Yellow Wax Pepper
  • Habanero Pepper
  • Jalapeno Pepper
  • Grand Bell Pepper Mix

• Black Beauty Squash
  • Dark Green Zucchini
  • Table Queen Acorn Squash
  • Fordhook Zucchini
  • Waltham Butternut Squash
  • Early Summer Crookneck Squash

• Green Flesh Honeydew
  • Halloween Blend Pumpkin
  • Sugar Baby Watermelon

• Evergreen Bunching Onion
  • Walla Walla Onion
  • Evergreen Long White Bunching Onion

• Dill
  • Slow Bolt Cilantro
  • Genovese Basil
  • Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
  • Sweet Basil
  • Mammoth Dill

• Scarlet Nantes Carrot
  • Danvers Carrot

• San Marzano Tomato
  • Roma Tomato
  • Rutger Tomato
  • Sweetie Tomato

• Golden Bantam Sweet Corn
  • Bilicious Corn

• Mammoth Russian Sunflower
  • Red Sun Sunflower
  • Velvet Queen Sunflower
  • Mystery Mix Sunflower

• Prime Time Peas
  • Garden Bean Gourmet Blend
  • Variety Green Bean Mix
  • Cherokee Wax Bean

• Red Acre Cabbage
  • Vates Blue Kale
  • Buttercrunch Lettuce
  • Georgia Collard
  • Iceberg Lettuce
  • Giant Caesar Lettuce
  • Dark Moss Curled Kale
  • Dwarf Blue Curled Kale
  • Salad Bowl Lettuce
  • Earliana Cabbage
  • Slow Bolt Arugula

• Detroit Dark Red Beet
  • Crimson Giant Radish
  • Purple Top Globe Turnip
  • Washington Asparagus
  • Purple Top Rutabaga
  • Cherry Belle Radish
  • Long Island Brussel Sprout

Okay how does everyone store their produce? Besides cherry tomatoes, strawberries and chillis (all eaten straight off the plant, the chickens ate the chiliis and were master chili theives) the only thing we've grown that needed storing was pumpkins, and they are very easy to store, 3 months in the cold room and still as good as ever. Bug what about carrots? Do fresh carrots have a better shelf life then store bought( read as, if you don't keep the store bought carrots in the fridge they shrivel up by the end of the week) and tomatoes? And radishes? Spinach? I know I can chop up all of these and freeze as soup bases, but I love them raw even more

Okay how does everyone store their produce? Besides cherry tomatoes, strawberries and chillis (all eaten straight off the plant, the chickens ate the chiliis and were master chili theives) the only thing we've grown that needed storing was pumpkins, and they are very easy to store, 3 months in the cold room and still as good as ever. Bug what about carrots? Do fresh carrots have a better shelf life then store bought( read as, if you don't keep the store bought carrots in the fridge they shrivel up by the end of the week) and tomatoes? And radishes? Spinach? I know I can chop up all of these and freeze as soup bases, but I love them raw even more
Stuff like spinach and lettuces, you can store in a mason jar with water with the end you cut touching the water. It will keep them nice fresh and hydrated.

Most things like carrots I read you should soak them in cold water for 30 minutes before storing them in the fridge because it rehydrates them and makes them last longer. I do not know by experience because I have not grown any of these yet.

Spinach and lettuces can also be put in a container with paper towels in between layers, it keeps them from getting soggy or slimy. I use this method all the time.

Wow I will try these! I was looking at the stay fresh tupperware range, but if I can save 100s of dollars for methods that work just as well, then that's what I'll do.
You can always vacuum seal them too. Stuff that isn't too soft. I know a lot of people do dehydrating too, but that would defeat you wanting raw.

.... Either way, with a few exceptions, my seeds seem to germinate more than they don't so either they have a longer shelf life than what the stores claimed or the frig solution works! :)
Most all seeds will last longer than the package is dated for. Somewhere I have a chart (or you can google the chart) that lists typical seeds and how long you can expect them to last under ordinary storage conditions, like on a shelf in a temp controlled house. Of course germination rates do diminish over time, but other than a few veggie types, most seeds will keep between 2 to 5 years and still germinate reasonably well.
I have a spreadsheet of everything planted and all of the seeds collected. My favorites are the asparagus patch, ender berry, black raspberries, paw paw trees, and maybe the hops, although that has yet to do very much thanks to the chickens loving it too. :drool

We have some empty pastures so I'm trying to plant with harvest times and animal rotation in mind to move them around as needed to avoid occupying the pasture during harvest time. Might not pan out, but that is the current plan.

I put in my first real in-ground garden this year that is no till. Have always had container gardens in the past. Have pumpkins, melons, some permaculture, and lots of tomatoes (some from grocery store heirloom tomatoes) and peppers, among other things. I like watching Jess on Roots and Refuge and James Prigioni's YouTube channel for food forest and gardening ideas for this part. It's a bit of a mess, but was an overgrown field 6 months ago and I try to remind myself of that. Here are the pumpkins I wish I'd put on a cattle panel. :)
View attachment 2233837

A neighbor offered to till an area for us to put corn in so we put in corn and beans also. My husband used a rolling seeder so the rows aren't entirety straight, but we hope it produces well in spite of our mistakes. The people who sold us our house left us seed corn and beans in the freezer so it cost us nothing to try. The taller variety is about 6 ft tall and has some nice ears developing. :fl
View attachment 2233820

I'd love to do a seed exchange. I did one on BYC in exchange for eggs and was really glad I participated.
I think this is awesome for only 6 months in!
I don't have a natural green thumb. I have learned though what seems obvious but I hadn't really thought about it so much that stuff naturally wants to sprout and grow. My main learning has been learning not to kill stuff with over meddling. haha..

My best tomato plants actually sprouted in my compost. I am still impressed that the seeds overwintered in -15F temps and sprouted in May. If it was an actual compost pile that would be one thing as the heat generated would maybe keep them warmer, but this was 2 inches of compost spread directly in my no-till, inground beds. Nature never ceases to amaze and impress me. Drives my husband crazy that the ones we work hard on don't do better than those. Haha... I think it's kind of cool.
I too was not born with a green thumb nor did anyone/family teach me. I've killed plenty of plants in my determination to become a gardener, but a lot of good gardening books and understanding soil structure and how to nourish it properly....or damage it inadvertently, has gone a long way in my becoming modestly successful.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a chipper/shredder for leaves and branches. I live on an acre with about 100 trees and have debris and leaves constantly that I would like to turn into mulch. They are expensive and wondered if anyone knows of a good brand before I spend that much money. Thanks in advance for any help
I don't have a good brand to recommend, but there is a technique called Hugelkultur that uses logs, branches and heavier materials to build gardening beds. Not the bed sides, but the bed part of the beds. It takes longer, but as the materials break down they really nourish the soil.
Hugelkultur

I used to have large maple trees on my last farm and would pile some leaves up to make leaf mold compost, pile some leaves over the gardens in the winter to break down under the snow, and still more I would mow over several times to chop up then mix into my garden soil or compost piles. They are excellent as a free carbon source for hot or cold composting.
Twigs and branches can be piled up too and then covered in leaves and let set to cold compost as well.

Leaves also make great layers for deep litter in the chicken house, (or garden) or as a straight replacement for shavings. While not as absorbent, my chickens always love working through the leaves and breaking things down into compost for me.

edit: typos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom