Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Anyone else a sucker for deals?

I just bought a dehydrator at walmart because it was on clearance... From $199.99 to 69.99... That is a deal to me. I got the extended protection plan too just in case.

It will not be here until the 11th. If you have dehydrator recipes let me know.

Anyone else a sucker for deals?

I just bought a dehydrator at walmart because it was on clearance... From $199.99 to 69.99... That is a deal to me. I got the extended protection plan too just in case.

It will not be here until the 11th. If you have dehydrator recipes let me know.
Lol, yeah. One thing to check on it: Is the temp stable or does it fluctuate? Apparently holding a stable temp is perfectly fine for plants, but will make meat get a dry crust on the outside and seal in moisture which can cause some really bad things to grow inside of it where you won't know until you bite into it...

As for recipes https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes.com/ assuming the one you are getting has a temp control, if not, the the drying times may be quite a bit off.

Edit to add: if it states to use ParaFlexx sheet you can sub out parchment paper with the non stick side up. ParaFlexx is just a proprietary washable version of parchment paper.

Lol, yeah. One thing to check on it: Is the temp stable or does it fluctuate? Apparently holding a stable temp is perfectly fine for plants, but will make meat get a dry crust on the outside and seal in moisture which can cause some really bad things to grow inside of it where you won't know until you bite into it...

As for recipes https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes.com/ assuming the one you are getting has a temp control, if not, the the drying times may be quite a bit off.

Edit to add: if it states to use ParaFlexx sheet you can sub out parchment paper with the non stick side up. ParaFlexx is just a proprietary washable version of parchment paper.
You tell me lol

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Removab...-or-Beef-Fruit-Vegetable-Dryer-HFON/218990378

I can't find anything about if the heat is constant or not. I did find a ton of pretty sketchy reviews on the selling company so hopefully you get lucky and get a good one.

If you want to try meat, I would test it first with a few pieces, heat it until it is dry on the outside and then pull it out and check the middle, it should dry about the same all the way through, if it is still wet and raw looking inside but looks like jerky outside I would just use it for plantlife.

Let us know how it does

Thanks for that site! I’m finding a ton of stuff!

I can't find anything about if the heat is constant or not. I did find a ton of pretty sketchy reviews on the selling company so hopefully you get lucky and get a good one.

If you want to try meat, I would test it first with a few pieces, heat it until it is dry on the outside and then pull it out and check the middle, it should dry about the same all the way through, if it is still wet and raw looking inside but looks like jerky outside I would just use it for plantlife.

Let us know how it does
It’s just a temporary one for now. I’m still getting the Excalibur. I’m mainly using it for produce.

Does this mean I can dehydrate corn and carrots like the do in Cup Of Noodles 😂 something about those veggies. I haven’t eaten one of those since I was a kid though. I do make homemade ramen a lot

It’s just a temporary one for now. I’m still getting the Excalibur. I’m mainly using it for produce.

Does this mean I can dehydrate corn and carrots like the do in Cup Of Noodles 😂 something about those veggies. I haven’t eaten one of those since I was a kid though. I do make homemade ramen a lot
Lol, yep, you can. Just make sure whatever you are drying is as uniform in size as possible and in a single layer, preferably not touching on the trays. Since your trays are stacked, I would also unstack and rotate them so the top ones are now on the bottom halfway through. I had a cheap little walmart round one, no timer, no temp control that would make apple chips like no one's business but it had trouble keeping the top rack as dry as the bottom one especially when filled pretty full as the stuff you are drying blocks airflow.

Not sure how this one would do with making fruit roll-up type things for the same reason, the parchment paper and the food would stop airflow from getting past it to dry properly. Maybe if you have the mix thicker and can do blobs rather than a layer so the air can go through in between the blobs.

Back
Top Bottom