Grower, Chick Grit, Feeder/Waterer Size

AccentOnHakes

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
My local feed store has chick starter, chick scratch, layer crumbles, mash, and pellets. Can I blend started and layer crumbles to act as grower feed? It has grit, but no chick grit. Would that work? I'm thinking a one gallon waterer and a 3 pound feeder for 3-4 birds. Is that okay?

No. You did not mention how old your chickens are. You also did not mention what brand of feed. If they are less then 18 weeks you don't want to give them layer feed. It contains too much calcium. Layer may not have enough protein. Last year I gave mine Purina Start and Grow until they were 18 weeks old. Then I switched to Purina Layena pellets. Right now they are eating a bag of flock raiser (higher protein) because some of them are in a light molt. I will switch back to Layena pellets when this bag is gone in another week or two.

I'd feed either the chick starter or a general purpose poultry ration such as Purina Flock Raiser until they lay their first egg. Then I'd begin to either blend in the layer feed until the starter is all gone or keep them on the general purpose feed and start supplementing oyster shell.

If they're eating only a mash type feed (such as the chick starter) you don't need to offer grit. If you're feeding chick scratch then I'd go to the pet store and get some parakeet/canary grit and sprinkle that on their start. Not a lot, just sprinkle it on like you're salting it. Do that every time you fill their feeder. Once they are about four weeks old you can begin to offer regular grit.

Only give them a little chick scratch while in the brooder. You want them to eat mostly the starter. I like the scratch (I use rolled oats) to sprinkle in the brooder bedding to encourage them to keep it turned up and fluffy and keep them out of mischief.

.....Alan.

I agree with the other posters. You are fine with a small feeder/waterer for 3-4 birds. It partly comes down to how often you want to fill your feeder and waterer (although attending to your waterer more often is good). I have five girls and use a 7 lb feeder. It's nice because I just fill it about once per week (and I usually only fill it halfway...).

A.T. Hagan :

I'd feed either the chick starter or a general purpose poultry ration such as Purina Flock Raiser until they lay their first egg. Then I'd begin to either blend in the layer feed until the starter is all gone or keep them on the general purpose feed and start supplementing oyster shell.

If they're eating only a mash type feed (such as the chick starter) you don't need to offer grit. If you're feeding chick scratch then I'd go to the pet store and get some parakeet/canary grit and sprinkle that on their start. Not a lot, just sprinkle it on like you're salting it. Do that every time you fill their feeder. Once they are about four weeks old you can begin to offer regular grit.

Only give them a little chick scratch while in the brooder. You want them to eat mostly the starter. I like the scratch (I use rolled oats) to sprinkle in the brooder bedding to encourage them to keep it turned up and fluffy and keep them out of mischief.

.....Alan.

Alright, I'll just keep them on keep them on starter until their first egg. I've heard that chick grit is really just very fine grit...the grit they have( I think it's for all birds) is so small, the diameter is only around 0.1 cm.​

Back
Top Bottom