Grower finisher

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fishbone033, Aug 12, 2016.

1. fishbone033

fishbone033 In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    My chicks are 12 weeks old can I start feeding them adult food yet?? What does grower finisher have unit that my layer base don't?? I have several supplements I put in adult food i.e. 44% protein hi omega 20% poultry supplement wild bird seed oats calcium lcc grit etc etc so I'm thinking my adult food is actually better for them anyways???

2. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chirping

Apr 27, 2016
    Yeah give them adult food now

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, the general rule is give them adult layer pellets/crumble when they are either at least 18-20 weeks old or wait until they are actually laying. 12 weeks is really too young because they don't need the calcium in the layer pellets. I've fudged a few times when 15-16 week olds needed to go in with the adults, but if they're by themselves, they don't get layer until the first one actually lays an egg.

I don't really understand the mix you're talking about. You don't give layer feed at all? Wild bird seed with lots of millet could be a problem, if that's the type you're giving. I've had a rooster almost choke when he sucked up a bunch of millet in a scratch mix I got once (the mill must have had a glitch, wasn't supposed to have millet at all). Not sure of the protein content of what you've posted if it has wild bird seed in it; that would depend on ratios.

Quote: Are those both supplements or actual feed? I didn't get that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by