Growing at different rates??

Ducklet

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Essex, UK
Hi I recently acquired two gorgeous ducklings. I was told the slightly bigger one is male and the other is female. Certainly by the sounds they are making this seems to be the case. The smaller one is much more vocal with very distinct "peeps" whereas the other is very quiet.

However the "male" is developing faster...he is already getting adult feathers on his chest and sides...and his wings are much bigger than the "female". The "female" has no adult plumage yet. But the "male" is still only a little bigger than the female.

So do males tend to develop quicker? Is it normal for one sibling to be develop earlier? Or could they not be siblings after all?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible for one to develop faster and it is possible for them to not be related or the same age. No real way to know except for time. Size is usually not an indicator of sex unless you have Muscovy and they are older. I have 2 male pekins and one was smaller and louder and the other larger and quieter. They are both very much males and the smaller is talkative while the larger is friendlier. How were they sexed?

Thank you both for replying! My Dad bought them for me off a guy who said the slightly larger one with a paler beak is male. They are five weeks old.

After some research and asking in here I think they are Muscovy or Muscovy-mixed. They were sold as "lavender ducklings"!!

that's two of my muscovy duckling if it's muscovy it should have that bump and nail on the tip of its beak
where as most other breeds have a more dull rounded beak like this

Last edited:

I hope this works...but the first is the "male", the second is the "female", the third is the beak which I think corresponds with the Muscovy type like yours, and the last is my attempt to get one together.

I think their definitely muscovy.. I was reading that when there a few weeks old the males seem to be bigger and have stocier legs then the females

Back
Top Bottom