Growing Corn For Chickens?

jjdward

How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
Has anybody ever tried growing corn or other grains just for their chickens? Is it worth it, what type of corn, how much corn do I need? Its just a thought and I wanted to let yall help me out. Thanks

Hey JJ

I just got typing cramp from a post a bit ago....much easier to cut and past.....lol\\

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=197252

jim
old.gif

was gonna but then could not find field corn and when I finally did I did not have the money to order it. But field corn is the variety that you would use
smile.png

I grow corn for my family, and if there is extra, I always give it to the chicks. They don't seem to like raw corn though, so it gets cooked with ours. I plant 1 row a week, up to 6 rows at a time. When one row is harvested, I replant. That way there's always corn
smile.png

I also grow head lettuce that the chicks love. I started 6 plants for the family, but we like romaine and I didn't plant that. So the chicks are getting fat off the lettuce.

Quote:
Thanks for the great info. I had known about the clover but didn't know what kind would do good in Georgia. I feed cracked corn just as a treat. It may not be worth growing my own, but I guess I could grow some for me too! Are there any that will work for both?

You know, you people on here are making my brain work....THANK YOU!!!

Field corn, when dried down and shelled from the cob, the majority of the kernels are rather large, known as "flats". On the big end of the ear, you get what they call "rounds". On the pointy end you get what they call "smalls".
These are usually seperated mechanically.
Now the thought that made my brain start smoking....

Yes....the best for both is sweet corn. Most sweet corn, when dried on the cob, can be shelled by hand or mechanical sheller. The brain fart I just had is, sweet corn usually has a very high water content. Thus when it dries down, the kernel becomes very shrivelled, and probaly loses half its physical mass. So I'm wondering if you would even need to grind it.

Where regular field corn does not lose much size at all on dry down. The reason I think chickens will make whole field corn second choice is because of its physical size, kind of like me trying to swallow a soft ball.

I just thought of something......BYC needs to get a new smiley face icon especially for me...picture this...a round yellow smiley face with a light bulb over head...the light starts to come on then zap....bulb burns out!
tongue.png

Jim

plant lots you wont believe how yummy and sugary fresh cut corn is. I love growing it. you will never eat from a store again
lol.png
every day it ages its sugars turn to starch so it is sweetest when just picked, so good I eat it raw
droolin.gif

i am lookin into it. in my area i can grow sunflowers a whole lot cheaper then buyin them. I am lookin for a field dried corn or other grains to put up for the winter. i have everything to plant, its harvesting by hand that is my problem, any suggestions will be nice

Back
Top Bottom