Growing fodder for chickens

I have been using organic barley from Countrywide feeds @ $20/50lbs. http://www.countrysideorganics.com/product.php?productid=193

We can get it out here in Lessburg from a local distributor.
Thank you so much for the info! I actually live next door to Nicks Organic Farm in Potomac MD which is the only organic farm for 50 miles and he sells barley for $20/50lb bag but it's not in season and I'll have to wait until Spring to buy from him.

In the mean time I ordered 2 bags from the link provided. That was by far the cheapest I could find online or anywhere else. Thank you.
I also called my feed supplier and asked if they could order this in bulk so I can possibly get it cheaper.
Leesburg isn't too far from me. What is the info of your provider? THanks!

Tyler

I have called three of our feed mills around my area of Indiana, and found that the spring barley is available right now and its running about $15-17 a bushel bag. That is the price of a bag of 50# chicken feed that lasts a week right now, so if this goes well, it WILL save money! I have ordered my first bag, and will start real soon on a small scale to see how it goes before going full speed. Fingers crossed.

Thank you so much for the info! I actually live next door to Nicks Organic Farm in Potomac MD which is the only organic farm for 50 miles and he sells barley for $20/50lb bag but it's not in season and I'll have to wait until Spring to buy from him.

In the mean time I ordered 2 bags from the link provided. That was by far the cheapest I could find online or anywhere else. Thank you.
I also called my feed supplier and asked if they could order this in bulk so I can possibly get it cheaper.
Leesburg isn't too far from me. What is the info of your provider? THanks!

Tyler

Hey Tyler,

After using the barley from countryside for 2 wks now, I am not so pleased, I am getting poor germination and it is little bit dirtier than the barley I was getting from Southern States. I thought it was due to colder temps but after I raised them this past week I'm still not getting great results. I'm going to call around and look to try another seed distributor. Anyway if you still want to try it I was getting it from Lost Corner Farm. http://lostcornerfarm.com/products/

I'll let you know when I find another supplier and my results.

Take care,
Jeff

Some of the seeds you guys are having trouble sprouting (mostly oat and boss) I sprout w/o any trouble at all in the burlap sacks w/ a 24 hour soak. Even if you are wanting go grow as fodder you might try sprouting it in the sacks then when it first sprouts put in your fodder growing trays.

Back
Top Bottom