Growing fodder for chickens

My two year-old has decided that she likes to "help" me with the fodder. I start a new batch every other day. Her job is to help dry the bins when they are washed, measure the seed into the bin, and rinse the seed. I let her do this by herself then do a more thorough job when she is done. Wanted to share because it makes me feel kinda proud and it's cute. I'll have to get my DH to take some pics to share. :)

My two year-old has decided that she likes to "help" me with the fodder. I start a new batch every other day. Her job is to help dry the bins when they are washed, measure the seed into the bin, and rinse the seed. I let her do this by herself then do a more thorough job when she is done. Wanted to share because it makes me feel kinda proud and it's cute. I'll have to get my DH to take some pics to share.
smile.png
Yes, let her do all she wants. Once she becomes a teenager it will be a chore to get her to do anything.
lol.png

Lucky you.  I just went down and thinned my layer of seeds thinking maybe it is just too thick.  Now I have ten foil roasting pans full.  It already looks better so that may have been my problem.  They all smell okay and I am not seeing any mold.  It does seem that the oats is taking longer to sprout.  Has anyone else had that happen or is it possible it's just old seed?

I started some of my wheat to soaking so tomorrow I will start it.  Thankfully I got ten gardening flats in the mail since my other is not ready to feed yet.

I think the thickness of the seeds is important. I only had mine about 1/3 of an inch thick.

My two year-old has decided that she likes to "help" me with the fodder. I start a new batch every other day. Her job is to help dry the bins when they are washed, measure the seed into the bin, and rinse the seed. I let her do this by herself then do a more thorough job when she is done. Wanted to share because it makes me feel kinda proud and it's cute. I'll have to get my DH to take some pics to share. :)
Yes, let her do all she wants. Once she becomes a teenager it will be a chore to get her to do anything.
lol.png
:gig I have three teenaged stepdaughters and a teenage son. They're all pretty worthless when it comes to doing anything that doesn't involve their hair and makeup :rolleyes: The two year old is seven years removed from the next youngest and my only other helper. Maybe that's why I'm so excited about child #7 helping out.

Quote: I remember reading in this thread that oats have a tendency to mold quicker that some other seeds because they have alot of starch. Rinsing them thoroughly several times helps with this....also, an addition of bleach or ACV in the final rinse water helps prevent mold . I don't remember anything about them taking longer but do remember that they don't like the temps too warm. Maybe someone who has used them will chime in....I haven't found any oats yet to try....

I remember reading in this thread that oats have a tendency to mold quicker that some other seeds because they have alot of starch. Rinsing them thoroughly several times helps with this....also, an addition of bleach or ACV in the final rinse water helps prevent mold . I don't remember anything about them taking longer but do remember that they don't like the temps too warm. Maybe someone who has used them will chime in....I haven't found any oats yet to try....

All I can find is oats, so I hope they work for me. I have to get some pans to start them in. I am going to look tomorrow. I hope I can get this to work, I am excited to try!!

I should be able to get seed oats shortly from the farmers elevator. I'm also having them get me price for rye seed since they will be making their big order for it in February. I try to use them for as much as possible but some times it is too expensive for me to get a small quantity so I go elsewhere. I will start sprouting seeds for fodder in the next week or so.....I'm starting with wheat....I have some organic milo (sorghum) that I was going to start with that I use in my fermented feed but after reading someone say the sprouts are not good, I've held off trying it for fodder.

Just thought I would post this from Walmart. Can only get it online and shipping is free if order is over $45.00.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Hard-White-Wheat-26-lb/22001478

It made a big difference to make my seed layer thinner. They are already looking better.

NotAFarm - I have not seen or smelled any mold and believe me I have allergies to mold so I little can get me going. I did find some information today while looking for seeds. It said germination for BOSS is 3 days and oats and wheat were 5 to 7 days. I am sure that is if planted in soil.

Last edited:
NotAFarm, I have been reading through "The Chicken Health Handbook", by Gail Damerow. On page 140 she lists 5 toxic seeds that accidentally get into feed grains. The 5 she lists are as follows: Coffee Weed (Cassia obtusefolia), gossypol in cottonseed meal, crotalaria seeds and stems, sorghum seed and rye seed. Now, I know some in past posts have talked about dry seed versus "living" seed making a difference in it being harmful or not. Dunno! Anyone have any thoughts on Gail Damerow's list?

I should be able to get seed oats shortly from the farmers elevator. I'm also having them get me price for rye seed since they will be making their big order for it in February. I try to use them for as much as possible but some times it is too expensive for me to get a small quantity so I go elsewhere. I will start sprouting seeds for fodder in the next week or so.....I'm starting with wheat....I have some organic milo (sorghum) that I was going to start with that I use in my fermented feed but after reading someone say the sprouts are not good, I've held off trying it for fodder.

I remember reading in this thread that oats have a tendency to mold quicker that some other seeds because they have alot of starch. Rinsing them thoroughly several times helps with this....also, an addition of bleach or ACV in the final rinse water helps prevent mold . I don't remember anything about them taking longer but do remember that they don't like the temps too warm. Maybe someone who has used them will chime in....I haven't found any oats yet to try....
I sprout oats and they do take longer then wheat to sprout. I do 4 day sprouts though not fodder.

Back
Top Bottom