Growing fodder for chickens

I've noticed with the sweet potato vines to pick at around their run combined with the scratch and peck feed my birds barely eat any sprouts I give them. I'm thinking during the warm months they might just not go for this. I will still try it out though this winter and see if they will go for barley fodder better than the sprouts I've tried.
Yes, I don't bother in the warmer months, because they get chicory, and other greens.

So it makes sense to grow Fodder seasonally for some of us.

They just need a quick rinse. But I soak then for a few minutes while I feed the hens then drain them. The key is getting them drained real well so they don't sit in water and ferment.

THIS IS MY INVENTION OF HOW I DO MY BARLEY SPROUTS. BY SOAKING THE BARLEY IN A BUCKET FOR 24 HOURS THEN TRANSFERRING IT INTO THE BLUE WASH BASIN TUBS I HAVE 20 OF THEM THAT I DRILLED TINY HOLES IN THE BOTTOMS OF THE BLUE ONES & I KEEP A PINK TUB AT THE BOTTOM OUT SIDE OF THE BLUE TUB SO I CAN FILL EACH TUB UP EVERY MORNING & A FEW TIMES A DAY WITH WATER & RINSE THE BARLEY OFF COMPLETELY, WHEN I PULL UP THE BLUE TUB FROM THE THE PINK BOTTOM TUB & IT DRAINS THE BARLEY PERFECTLY..! WITH THE HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THAT BLUE TUB & KEEPS IT CLEAN & FROM MOLDING OR WHAT EVER SO THESE CONTAINERS ARE MUCH CHEAPER & LADIES THEY ARE MUCH LIGHTER TO HANDLE THEN THE 5 GAL BUCKETS THAT SOME ARE USING & ARE COSTLY MUCH HARDER TO DRILL HOLES IN , SO GOT THESES TUBS FOR .88 EACH FROM A MEDICAL SUPPLY PLACE ON LINE & GOT TUBS IN COLORS SO I CAN COLOR CODE WHATS GROWING & WHATS SOAKING , AND DOUBLE THEM UP FOR RINSING & DRAINING , SORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS I LOST MY GLASSES & CANT SEE WHAT IM WRITING HA,
tongue.png

i have been feeding sprouted barely for most of the summer & will feed it all winter , but also i had been researching at what point of its growth is the barley best for my chickens , i remember reading a year ago but cant remember were ..? an article said barley has better nutritional value in its early stage of growth as it contains more protein but as it grows in to a grass stage it looses a lot of its protein content so remembering this small bit of info i have looked around again on line but only found this similar bit of info which is the way i have been feeding barley since & now i just cant keep ahead of my flocks demands for barley , so here is what i found & have been feeding this way & for this reason===> on Day 1 sprouts are nutritionally superior to Day 4 sprouts currently being fed to livestock . so in essence i have been feeding barley sprouts to my hens for better egg production, & im happy with the results, i buy barley seed 50 pounds for 15.00 a local feed place & it goes along way so just remember your looking for the same kind of barley seed that is used to grow barley in the field & essentially i grown it hydroponically first soaking it in a bucket over night say 24 hours it needs to look more swelled up & past its dried seed size, there is plenty of you tube sprouting barley videos to watch , & here is the article i found below plus also i found this info from tractor supply, Livestock Fodder System - DIY www.tractorsupply.com

,Animal Feed Science and Technology
Volume 13, Issues 3–4, December 1985, Pages 191-202

1985, Animal Feed Science and Technology

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this!! Will be ordering 50 of those things. Been looking for an affordable bin to make a fodder rack and meal worm farm rack and couldn't find anything. Those are perfect!!
THIS IS MY INVENTION OF HOW I DO MY BARLEY SPROUTS. BY SOAKING THE BARLEY IN A BUCKET FOR 24 HOURS THEN TRANSFERRING IT INTO THE BLUE WASH BASIN TUBS I HAVE 20 OF THEM THAT I DRILLED TINY HOLES IN THE BOTTOMS OF THE BLUE ONES & I KEEP A PINK TUB AT THE BOTTOM OUT SIDE OF THE BLUE TUB SO I CAN FILL EACH TUB UP EVERY MORNING & A FEW TIMES A DAY WITH WATER & RINSE THE BARLEY OFF COMPLETELY, THEN I PULL UP THE BLUE TUB FROM THE THE BOTTOM & IT DRAINS THE BARLEY PERFECTLY..! WITH THE HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THAT BLUE TUB & KEEPS IT CLEAN & FROM MOLDING OR WHAT EVER SO THESE CONTAINERS ARE MUCH CHEAPER & LADIES THEY ARE MUCH LIGHTER TO HANDLE THEN THE 5 GAL BUCKETS THAT SOME ARE USING & ARE COSTLY MUCH HARDER TO DRILL HOLES IN , SO GOT THESES TUBS FOR .88 EACH FROM A MEDICAL SUPPLY PLACE ON LINE & GOT TUBS IN COLORS SO I CAN COLOR CODE WHATS GROWING & WHATS SOAKING , AND DOUBLE THEM UP FOR RINSING & DRAINING , SORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS I LOST MY GLASSES & CANT SEE WHAT IM WRITING HA,:p i have been feeding sprouted barely for most of the summer & will feed it all winter , but also i had been researching at what point of its growth is the barley best for my chickens , i remember reading a year ago but cant remember were ..? an article said barley has better nutritional value in its early stage of growth as it contains more protein but as it grows in to a grass stage it looses a lot of its protein content so remembering this small bit of info i have looked around again on line but only found this similar bit of info which is the way i have been feeding barley since & now i just cant keep ahead of my flocks demands for barley , so here is what i found & have been feeding this way & for this reason===> on Day 1 sprouts are nutritionally superior to Day 4 sprouts currently being fed to livestock . so in essence i have been feeding barley sprouts to my hens for better egg production, & im happy with the results, i buy barley seed 50 pounds for 15.00 a local feed place & it goes along way so just remember your looking for the same kind of barley seed that is used to grow barley in the field & essentially i grown it hydroponically first soaking it in a bucket over night say 24 hours it needs to look more swelled up & past its dried seed size, there is plenty of you tube sprouting barley videos to watch , & here is the article i found below plus also i found this info from tractor supply, Livestock Fodder System - DIY www.tractorsupply.com ▼ ,Animal Feed Science and Technology Volume 13, Issues 3–4, December 1985, Pages 191-202 1985, Animal Feed Science and Technology

Can you sprout alfalfa or is not worth it? Is there a list of things to sprout?

Lots of people use alfalfa sprouts on salads and sandwiches.

The one I remember doesn't sprout is flax seed...it just turns into a gloopy mess thanks to the mucilagenous compounds (some vegans use ground flax as egg replacer to give you an idea).

Different seeds require different soaking times, but that info is easily found with a web search.

Can you sprout alfalfa or is not worth it? Is there a list of things to sprout?

I sprout alfalfa for us and for treats for the birds. It is similar to clover in size and taste. I personally prefer the clover a little. As for the birds mine prefer my sweet potato vines and leaves a 100x to anything I have sprouted so far. I have not tried wheat berries or barley tho. Plan on trying that out this winter after my vines die back.

I sprout alfalfa for us and for treats for the birds. It is similar to clover in size and taste. I personally prefer the clover a little. As for the birds mine prefer my sweet potato vines and leaves a 100x to anything I have sprouted so far. I have not tried wheat berries or barley tho. Plan on trying that out this winter after my vines die back.

What do you do with sweet potatos? I've never heard of using them.

Back
Top Bottom