Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
LOL can i buy some eggs from her then? :p

Sure if you want to eat them... hers have not been fertile since a week after I got her
he.gif
I had a couple of pullet WL lay 2 a day, but the second one was very small..... like a grape. I don't think that 2 eggs a day is a good trait to breed for.....

I know, but until you have one do it you will not believe it. I didn't.. She is in a pen with no way for another hen to get to her and it is closed with no gaps on all sides....just not possible. She was injured so I moved her to these pens. She is in a pen by herself. She kinda quit laying, but would pop out 2 eggs at a time when she did lay for some odd reason. Some have been soft shelled, but most are normal size and regular eggs..... BELIEVE IT OR NOT!
hu.gif
BTW I have bricks on top of the ones with big birds because they can move the screens and get out.

Hi, this is so nice.
What are the pink ties holding up and what is in them.
Thanks.

> Keep temps in your grow room around 60F degrees, or as low as 50F degrees

Okay that's good to hear, the new room I moved my flailing experiment to is 60, I'll take the advice and wash with some bleach solutions as a preventative.

I'm also going to label the trays to ensure I know just how little growth is going on.

Thanks for the advice all,

Scott

Well I am frustrated!! My first attempt at sprouting has went belly up! I started seeing little spots of white mold in my trays. BUGGERS!! So..I am going to have to dump them...but for those of you more experienced....can I take these and sow them in soil since they already have wonderful root systems...and grow them...cutting the tops off when they get several inches long?
I think I know my problem...too high heat and not near the ventilation that was needed. I did soak them in the bleach solution over night. So...will start over tomorrow. I am sprouting oats and wheat. I had used cheese cloth in the bottoms of some of the trays to see if doing that would let the roots grow in so I could just hang them up when ready. Could that have caused some of my problem?? So far I have not been able to find barley.

Last edited:
Regarding your "spoiled" lot, I'd go ahead and dump them into a 10% bleach solution and let them soak for a couple of hours. It won't hurt them. I had to do it with some garbanzo beans that were in a soup bean mix this week. Everything but the garbanzos started to spoil. I rinsed them off really well several times and then dumped them in a bleach solution for longer than I intended but yesterday and today both, they smell sweet not spoiled.

I'd try saving them.

Regarding your "spoiled" lot, I'd go ahead and dump them into a 10% bleach solution and let them soak for a couple of hours. It won't hurt them. I had to do it with some garbanzo beans that were in a soup bean mix this week. Everything but the garbanzos started to spoil. I rinsed them off really well several times and then dumped them in a bleach solution for longer than I intended but yesterday and today both, they smell sweet not spoiled.

I'd try saving them.
Thanks so much....I really hated the thought of dumping over a gallon of oat plus the wheat grain. Will do that in the morning...I sure appreciated your comment!

I tried some in a jar and on the veggie tray, no dirt just watered once a day
So is the stage I want to feed the sprouts?

Some of the full grown wheat just so pretty

Also how often do you feed this?? And the veggie tray is that to much for 13 full sized hens and 3 bantams?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom