Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
jchny2000,
I'm still reading this thread, but I am very interested in what you are fermenting for your alpacas. We have 2 llamas and will be adding milk goats soon. I currently sprout for our chickens and llamas (barley, oats, wheat and BOSS). The llamas are eating an orchard/alfalfa mix at $19 per bale (YIKES) at one flake per day and this cost will go up once we have goats. I'm going to start fodder soon to reduce cost of all feed and was planning to supplement fermented feed to our chickens (I've read about half of the fermenting thread). I would love to know what you are feeding the alpacas, and I'm assuming I might be able to do the same with goats. Thanks!

I ferment about a cup and a half of "allstock" for each of them daily. Keep it really thick.. I realized they were attracted to the FF when they followed me out to the pigs pasture a few times. they normally don't want any part of the pigs. One morning, I let them out to pasture and had the pigs feed bucket in the other hand. Both boys heads DOVE into the bucket! That was a challenge getting it away from them!
lau.gif
so i added the "ferment juice" to their feed that day and away they went! I They have been on it about a month now, and refuse the dry pellet. I also feed a flake of grass/orchard hay a day per boy. If i am out in the other field i will tether them at the fence row, and let them eat weeds. (We do not permit spraying, nor anyone around us.) Tethering worries me, so if i am not with them every second i won't do it .I feel terrible for you! Hay is high here, but i am getting it for $9 a bale so far. its rising fast. I am going to sprout grass flats for them in the house for winter, but allow it to get the longer stalks. I remember the goats have a wider feed variety than the alpaca... I use to keep them also. I plan to get a few Nigerian dwarf this spring... but may go with a different milk breed, hmm so many choices
big_smile.png
!! Hope that helps.

I ferment about a cup and a half of "allstock" for each of them daily. Keep it really thick.. I realized they were attracted to the FF when they followed me out to the pigs pasture a few times. they normally don't want any part of the pigs. One morning, I let them out to pasture and had the pigs feed bucket in the other hand. Both boys heads DOVE into the bucket! That was a challenge getting it away from them!
lau.gif
so i added the "ferment juice" to their feed that day and away they went! I They have been on it about a month now, and refuse the dry pellet. I also feed a flake of grass/orchard hay a day per boy. If i am out in the other field i will tether them at the fence row, and let them eat weeds. (We do not permit spraying, nor anyone around us.) Tethering worries me, so if i am not with them every second i won't do it .I feel terrible for you! Hay is high here, but i am getting it for $9 a bale so far. its rising fast. I am going to sprout grass flats for them in the house for winter, but allow it to get the longer stalks. I remember the goats have a wider feed variety than the alpaca... I use to keep them also. I plan to get a few Nigerian dwarf this spring... but may go with a different milk breed, hmm so many choices
big_smile.png
!! Hope that helps.
9 bucks a square bale?
ep.gif
Yikes!

9 bucks a square bale?
ep.gif
Yikes!

UGH
rant.gif
the drought this last year really hurt us all. Some of the local small farms have sold off stock, especially the goats because of hay prices. I got it for 2 bucks, 3 at most a bale a few seasons ago for the goats i had back then. i have about 4 acres pasture here and you can bet i was out with the sweeper getting every blade of grass i could this fall. The big round bales are 80-90 bucks now too
somad.gif
This alone made me wait til spring to get goats again, and a few cows.

UGH
rant.gif
the drought this last year really hurt us all. Some of the local small farms have sold off stock, especially the goats because of hay prices. I got it for 2 bucks, 3 at most a bale a few seasons ago for the goats i had back then. i have about 4 acres pasture here and you can bet i was out with the sweeper getting every blade of grass i could this fall. The big round bales are 80-90 bucks now too
somad.gif
This alone made me wait til spring to get goats again, and a few cows.
We pay 4 for squares 25 for barn kept 5x5 rounds

Fermented grains do not sprout. The grain will be a bigger plumper brighter colored version of whatever it starts out as. The grain will stay whole and the inside will be soft and white, but you would have to tear apart the husk w/ your nail or something to see it. Grains will ferment on thier own w/ the natural flora already on the grain and in the air, I started mine w/ just water and grains, it is still going 1.5 years later. If you use acv to jump start it you need to use the acv w/ the mother already in it, then the mother continues to grow and feed on the starch in the grains.
At what point in the fermenting do you give it to the chickens?
You mention the inside of the grain will be soft and white, is that the time to give to the chickens ?
Thanks.

At what point in the fermenting do you give it to the chickens?
You mention the inside of the grain will be soft and white, is that the time to give to the chickens ?
Thanks.
As it ferments you will notice a fermenting, sour doughish smell and usually bubbles, especially when you stir them, anytime after that they are fermented and ready to feed. They can be fed before as just soaked grains, but I would wait and give the fermenting process time. In warm weather it could be as little as two days, but in cooler weather it may take a week or so. Just remember once it ferments just add new don't throw out all your good fermenting liquid and subsequent batches will be ready much sooner.

As it ferments you will notice a fermenting, sour doughish smell and usually bubbles, especially when you stir them, anytime after that they are fermented and ready to feed. They can be fed before as just soaked grains, but I would wait and give the fermenting process time. In warm weather it could be as little as two days, but in cooler weather it may take a week or so. Just remember once it ferments just add new don't throw out all your good fermenting liquid and subsequent batches will be ready much sooner.
Thank you,
Also, can you tell me what is the benifit of feeding the fermented grain ?
Thank you very much.

I thought about this, but have decided that giving them eggs or other protein, and, yogurt at times will be easier for me. I have a small flock. Extra protein, and something for the tummy. Yogurt is great for the gut.

Wow, sounds like hay is expensive! I don't have large animals to feed like that. I feel for you guys!

Back
Top Bottom