Growing fodder for chickens

I am not a lover of the superstore type store and only shop at them as a means of last resort, try to spend my money in smaller chains or preferably "mom and pop" type stores. I am not employed by a superstore, have no family employed by one either just to get my motives out of the way.

You cannot blame a store operating for profit in a capitalist environment for succeeding, that is the "American Dream" in the case of wally world they did start in Po-dunk Arkansas as a mom and pop store, made great business decisions and ended up a world wide conglomerate (sp). Do they make choices the better themselves at the expense of other, of course they are a business in the business of making money. Given the opportunity so does every other business out there they just do it better. The ONLY reason they are as huge as they are is people like to spend their money there. If people decided they no longer wanted to spend money in that store it wouldn't exist in it's form any longer, but as much as people give lip service to hating to shop there, that is still where they line up to hand their money over. As for the price of their grain increasing, the price of grain is increasing everywhere not just one superstore, there is a near nationwide drought that has lasted several years across most of the grain producing states. Maybe they used that product as a loss leader and now they are using some other product???? Who knows, but as always you have a choice where you spend your money.

As far as it "not making a difference" to the huge store if "a couple of dozen" people on this thread start shopping somewhere else, as far as I am concerned it is not important to me if my spending dollar impacts that store negatively it matters more to me that my spending choices makes a difference to ME. Many times I have stopped buying a specific product or at a specific store for my own reasons, not believing for one second it will make a big difference to that company, but b/c it makes me feel better.

So that is my 2 cents.

If it helps those in the Denver area, I get my grains bulk at goldenorganics.net in Arvada. I believe they also ship but it's a $500 order min. All organic, you can get whole wheat and rye and barley for sprouting. It grows ok but I tried just growing in plastic containers and it didn't do well - either dried out out molded. They sprouted, by not well at all - I was tending to them by hand - a big pain in the butt!

So question, for the fodder system trays, you just use the black trys with the holes for drainage?
Thanks growyourbrew, was wondering where to look in my area for grains!

Does anyone know where I can get plans for a fodder system? Or just explain to me how the systems work?

I am not totally understanding how the pump water timer thing would work for some reason :)

Walmart has become predatory. It eliminates all small business in small towns. They sell junk, and once they remove competition remove the goods that were competitive so the product is not available and continue to exchange for lesser quality on everything. I have no respect for them. They are also cheap on wages. This is not capitalism, it is predatory.
Keep reading, answer is below
By the way, do you work for WalMart? Oh, or do you have a lot of stock in WalMart? Just curious.
No, I do not work for Wal*Mart, nor do I have stock, but I DID work IN Wal*Mart as a traveling vendor back in the early 90's, I had a total of 18 stores that I would travel too, set up a display, stay for a week and move on to another store. It was a different world, different morals, different management, and a totally different environment in those days. While Sam Walton was alive, he DID for "his people," not like "the family" does "TO" the family (of Associates" today.
I am not a lover of the superstore type store and only shop at them as a means of last resort, try to spend my money in smaller chains or preferably "mom and pop" type stores. I am not employed by a superstore, have no family employed by one either just to get my motives out of the way.

You cannot blame a store operating for profit in a capitalist environment for succeeding, that is the "American Dream" in the case of wally world they did start in Po-dunk Arkansas as a mom and pop store, made great business decisions and ended up a world wide conglomerate (sp). Do they make choices the better themselves at the expense of other, of course they are a business in the business of making money. Given the opportunity so does every other business out there they just do it better. The ONLY reason they are as huge as they are is people like to spend their money there. If people decided they no longer wanted to spend money in that store it wouldn't exist in it's form any longer, but as much as people give lip service to hating to shop there, that is still where they line up to hand their money over. As for the price of their grain increasing, the price of grain is increasing everywhere not just one superstore, there is a near nationwide drought that has lasted several years across most of the grain producing states. Maybe they used that product as a loss leader and now they are using some other product???? Who knows, but as always you have a choice where you spend your money.

As far as it "not making a difference" to the huge store if "a couple of dozen" people on this thread start shopping somewhere else, as far as I am concerned it is not important to me if my spending dollar impacts that store negatively it matters more to me that my spending choices makes a difference to ME. Many times I have stopped buying a specific product or at a specific store for my own reasons, not believing for one second it will make a big difference to that company, but b/c it makes me feel better.

So that is my 2 cents.
Very well said and almost word for word what I was going to say. Money ($$$) Talks, B.S. walks. If the majority of people in an area didn't want or like Wal*Mart in their area, they just plain wouldn't shop there.

I can not speak on the practices that Wal*Mart uses in their pay , but I WILL say, if you were unemployed, which would you rather, a small paycheck, for which you promise to do a job, or NO paycheck for which you would BEG for ANY job.

And that's My Two Cents.

Skip

Does anyone know where I can get plans for a fodder system? Or just explain to me how the systems work?

I am not totally understanding how the pump water timer thing would work for some reason :)
Well, there really isn't a "system" as such. And I have never tried the auto watering idea. I put about a gallon and a half into my top tray, and by the time that ONE watering gets to the drain bucket at the bottom, it is so badly discolored (probably from the red wheat) that I wouldn't want to put it back in the top tray. Plus, stuff builds up in that water, which would need filtering, and cleansing. At least that's what I look at. I am amazed at some peoples photos that show the 'storage' tank under their trays and wonder (maybe even out loud) "How do they get such clean looking water?"

In any case, as many here have shown in many MANY parts of this thread, just stack your containers on top of one another, with holes in each tray, and pour water in the top tray and let it trickle down to the tray below it, and so on and so on till it gets to the bottom. Catch THAT water and dispose, or hold on to it until you are ready to water again, lift bucket, pour, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. In about five to eight days you will have fodder and feed for your animals.

Skip

Well, there really isn't a "system" as such. And I have never tried the auto watering idea. I put about a gallon and a half into my top tray, and by the time that ONE watering gets to the drain bucket at the bottom, it is so badly discolored (probably from the red wheat) that I wouldn't want to put it back in the top tray. Plus, stuff builds up in that water, which would need filtering, and cleansing. At least that's what I look at. I am amazed at some peoples photos that show the 'storage' tank under their trays and wonder (maybe even out loud) "How do they get such clean looking water?"

In any case, as many here have shown in many MANY parts of this thread, just stack your containers on top of one another, with holes in each tray, and pour water in the top tray and let it trickle down to the tray below it, and so on and so on till it gets to the bottom. Catch THAT water and dispose, or hold on to it until you are ready to water again, lift bucket, pour, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. In about five to eight days you will have fodder and feed for your animals.

Skip
Thank you, I was thinking about doing the auto watering type thing...just because I expect that my helpers (being my kids) will forget to water and etc. and felt like if I have an auto thing going it might take the "heat" off us a tiny bit. So basically an auto waterer will just come on at a certain time...pump water up...it trickles back down ready for the next time. I am trying my best to read all the posts on this thread but there are a few lol :)

The only sprouts I give the chickens is lentels and BOSS and they are just barely sprouted. The little roots are no longer than the seed. They like them better than longer sprouts.
Agribuz has to much money to challenge their evil products. Researchers (read universities) will get banned from further funding if they produced a negative GMO report.

Walmart sucks. As a registered native american, I take offence to their history of destroying ancient burial grounds all in the name of profit.
http://grist.org/article/2009-09-03-wal-marts-history-of-destroying-sacred-sites/

But this fodder idea? This is great. I have some boss growing right now as an experiment.
They were old seeds (maybe 5 years) but are sprouting like mad after being slow to take off.
I am convinced that this is a brilliant idea and I will be heading to the feed mart to start with wheat grass.

Back
Top Bottom