Growing fodder for chickens

Ive tried reading over the many fodder related threads and i still dont find an answer to my question... How much fodder do you feed each chicken and how much layer do you feed they, or how much layer is reduced?

Has anybody tried sprouting in a fridge? We have an old fridge in the garage that I can adjust the temp up a bit and take the switch out so the light stays on. Thoughts?? In theory some of the mold issues could be controlled by keeping the temps in the ideal range during warmer weather seasons.

Ive tried reading over the many fodder related threads and i still dont find an answer to my question... How much fodder do you feed each chicken and how much layer do you feed they, or how much layer is reduced?

No one can agree about this. People were using the figure one square inch per bird, but that seemed like not very much to a lot of us. I feed probably two or three square inches per bird, what I think of as a "crop full" I can't help you with how much layer is reduced. I feed fermented grains, and they get as much as they can clean up in fifteen minutes twice a day in winter (which is when I feed fodder). So I don't exactly measure....

I've always fed by weight. 1/4 pound per chicken is standard for layer feed, so I just give them 1/4 lbs of fodder per chicken. They free-range the rest and no commercial feed is given.

I've always fed by weight. 1/4 pound per chicken is standard for layer feed, so I just give them 1/4 lbs of fodder per chicken. They free-range the rest and no commercial feed is given.

Is the fodder okay for ducks?

Yes, although they will need about 1/3 of a pound. A little more than that for the larger ducks like Pekins.

Yes, although they will need about 1/3 of a pound. A little more than that for the larger ducks like Pekins.

Okay, thanks. Thinking of getting a barley sack and giving this fodder idea a go.

Nutcase 1/4 pound doesn't seam entirely accurate if you are expecting to keep egg production up. Layer feed is 90% dry matter and fodder is only 20-30% Dm. There is a big difference in dry feed and wet fodder.

I am interested to know how your egg production is with how you feed.

Back
Top Bottom