Growing fodder for chickens

If dry or wet matter makes such a difference, then mash should never be fed to layers? I suppose if you wanted the max out of your chickens you would feed a cropful. Personally, my chickens forage 90% of their food from free-ranging during the summer giving me all the eggs I would ever want, and I only feed fodder to overwinter them, so I wouldn't know about egg production.

Nutcase 1/4 pound doesn't seam entirely accurate if you are expecting to keep egg production up. Layer feed is 90% dry matter and fodder is only 20-30% Dm. There is a big difference in dry feed and wet fodder.

I am interested to know how your egg production is with how you feed.

I won't be starting just yet but when I do I will let you know how everything goes. The hens are in a run now, and they get a few hours foraging time several days per week. They eat fresh cut grass almost every day and are on layer feed. Their egg production is not the best right now but then again they are over 3 years old and, being red sex links, it would be normal for their production to slow. I will be starting up with other breeds in future and I suspect I might get better results from the ones I have in mind.

So when i call my feed store...what am I asking them for?? Barley seed? Wheat seed?
Either will work great. Make sure the barley is not pearled or malted. That means it has previously been cooked and will not sprout. Let me know if you find barley! I am on the east coast of NC and can't find it anywhere.

Wow just finished reading all 238 pages....
celebrate.gif

I LOVE this thread. It's packed full of all kinds of good ideas. i should have my first non gmo organic wheat fodder in a few days!
big_smile.png

some fellow farmers and I were talking about this last night. I started reading this thread and there is so much information. What advice can you give to someone just newly looking into this? I have chickens, ducks, goats and a rabbit. Is there one good one that they can all eat or should I be growing different fodder for different animals?

some fellow farmers and I were talking about this last night. I started reading this thread and there is so much information. What advice can you give to someone just newly looking into this? I have chickens, ducks, goats and a rabbit. Is there one good one that they can all eat or should I be growing different fodder for different animals?

I feed my chickens, ducks, turkeys, sheep, and rabbits the same mix. I let the fodder grow a bit taller for the sheep and rabbits. I use a mix of wheat, black oil sunflower seeds, and lentils. I also buy taller grown barley fodder for my horses. I tried growing my own barley fodder for my horses but it was really labor intensive to prevent mold so I just buy it already done from somebody who has one of those temperature/water controlled fodder machines.

This whole thing makes me so excited so I decided to give it a try!! I have 8 chickens and only 2 of them just started laying a few days ago. My questions are:

1. How many fodder do I need to feed 8 chickens per day?
2. It sounds to me so far that wheat is easy to sprout than barley, so I will start with wheat. I live in Alaska, and we only get a few hours of daylight during the winter time. How many hours of light does it need to grow? How about temperature?

Here is what I understand how to grow fodder:
Day 1: Rinse the seeds then soak and cover to germinate in the dark.
Day 2: Rinse the seeds one more time then put the in the trays that have holes in the bottom. Also, they need extra tray underneath it. Does the extra tray need holes or not? Does it need to be covered on the second day? how many hours of light and what temperature?
Day 3 - 8: Is it the same as day 2?

I really appreciate if someone can give me a clear answer!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have the time to read through all of these pages. So, I just have a couple of questions if someone has input.

1 - is fodder supplemental to the layer feed or should it only be used as a replacement?

2 - during the winter is this something you can just throw out a piece in their run and they will eat it?

3 - can they eat too much if I am already feeding layer feed? (ie. gorging themselves)

4 - does this give their eggs that darker, thicker yolk like other veggies do?

Fass

For 8 chickens, 2 lbs, or 1/4 lbs per chicken.

Temperature fodder should be kept at around 65F

Fodder doesn't need much light in the first few days of sprouting. But if you want it slightly greener, it only takes a few hours for the color to form.

The try underneath does not need holes as it is to catch any water that drips from the tray above.

No, it does not need to be covered the second day, that is only if you want a thick root mat which is optional. Hours of light and temperature are the same as above.

And yes, Day 3-8 is the same as day two. Rinse, drain, and let grow.

~~~~

1, If you want eggs, the fodder is only supplemental as the sprouts do not have enough protein for egg production. If you're using it during the winter, and they're not laying anyway, yes, you can use it as a replacement.

2, Yep, you can just throw it in the run, they will pick it apart and eat, that is, if they know about it. Some chickens, especially young chicks who have never seen it before, may not know it's food.

3, Any chicken can eat too much, but it isn't likely if you stick to standard amounts and not free feed.

4, No, I have not seen any such effects. Sometimes color just depends on the hen that lays the egg, not always what she's fed.

Hope this helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom