Growing fodder for chickens

Quote: I've always heard a "full ration" was 0.25 lb per day.

The point remains that feed nutrition is generally calculated from Dry Matter Content, since water alone contains nothing "nutritional'

Also the point had nothing to do with "nutrition problems", but was comparing costs

If given in a full ration (0.33lb) their requirements would be fulfilled and there would be no problems.

I've always heard a "full ration" was 0.25 lb per day.

The point remains that feed nutrition is generally calculated from Dry Matter Content, since water alone contains nothing "nutritional'

Also the point had nothing to do with "nutrition problems", but was comparing costs 
Very well, you got me there. I was thinking about ducks. But still if you don't feed enough, you're bound to have problems. That extra 0.1lb is a lot to a chicken.

Yes, but have you considered the nutrients released by the sprouting process? The water is only an aid to this. Plus, you don't have anything to lose; water stays water, nutrients in the formerly (dry)grain stay there, and even more nutrition is released, which then results in healthier chickens. You may even have to water less, which is helpful in both cold and hot climates due to lack of water, or freezing waterers. Furthermore, feed nutrition calculated by dry matter content is flawed, since after all, who would expect a chicken to eat 1.76lbs per day? Try calculating nutrition content by nutrition content without prejudice as to whether it's unsprouted or sprouted. You will see a difference reinforcing the usefulness of the latter product.

If it's not about lack of nutrition, then what is making it not cost effective? You're feeding the same weight of food. Even the article says that "If you do not consider its high moisture content, the per pound price of hydroponic fodder seems very economical, around $0.06 per pound". 'High moisture content' is just that...moisture. Nothing is lost. The article states that 'energy' is lost in the sprouting process, but that is not true, since the plant photosynthesizes any light, adding energy. Naturally, if you decide to buy a $2,500 fodder system, sure it's costly, but I doubt any of us here use them.

I pre-presoak my BOSS for 24 hrs before adding it to my presoaking wheat for another 24 hrs.... So the BOSS soaks for 48 hours... It is all well sprouted in time for harvest

Well 48 hours to harvest does not seem unreasonable to me. Some people were saying they they were going to stop using BOSS because it was too
slow to sprout when other grins sprouted fast. BOSS is supposed to be higher in nutritive value, right? Also, it is my understanding (from here) that the additional greenery is not necessary. I mean that the nutritional upgrade from sprouting happens right away and letting it continue to grow long green limbs doesn't really do much for the chickens. Nutrition wise. So I'm going for BOSS with 2 days growth time. Does this sound correct to you?
Question: One can ferment anything it seems as we know booze can be made out of anything that grows. Whole grains are required for sprouting but any feed can be fermented, right? If I take the powdery residue after the chickens have eaten all the cracked corn out of it, can I use this to ferment and will it be just a mess of mud-like consistency? Will they eat it? Right now I have to go to the trouble of making pancakes out of this powder to keep from wasting it. Anyone else have this problem and how do you solve it? : )

Well 48 hours to harvest does not seem unreasonable to me. Some people were saying they they were going to stop using BOSS because it was too
slow to sprout when other grins sprouted fast. BOSS is supposed to be higher in nutritive value, right? Also, it is my understanding (from here) that the additional greenery is not necessary. I mean that the nutritional upgrade from sprouting happens right away and letting it continue to grow long green limbs doesn't really do much for the chickens. Nutrition wise. So I'm going for BOSS with 2 days growth time. Does this sound correct to you?
Question: One can ferment anything it seems as we know booze can be made out of anything that grows. Whole grains are required for sprouting but any feed can be fermented, right? If I take the powdery residue after the chickens have eaten all the cracked corn out of it, can I use this to ferment and will it be just a mess of mud-like consistency? Will they eat it? Right now I have to go to the trouble of making pancakes out of this powder to keep from wasting it. Anyone else have this problem and how do you solve it? : )
It was a 48 hour soak... most people feed at between 4 and 7 days of sprouting. I tend to do high protein sources like beans and BOSS earlier, and grains later... JMO
There's the Fermented Feed thread... thought I saw you over there? and if you make it thick rather than needing to let it filter, should be just fine. People use crumble. So why not? :)

I thought I should update my BOSS sprouting time! I started them on 10/17 and today is 10/27, so it took 10 days for me to sprout BOSS to my satisfaction!!
droolin.gif
It sure takes longer than barley!!

I only have 8 chickens, so this whole tray will be used for 2 days!

I thought I should update my BOSS sprouting time! I started them on 10/17 and today is 10/27, so it took 10 days for me to sprout BOSS to my satisfaction!!
droolin.gif
It sure takes longer than barley!!

I only have 8 chickens, so this whole tray will be used for 2 days!

Wow, that seems like so much food. Ten days is a long time to get only 2 days worth. I guess I'll have to get one of those tray deals on wheels for the garage to wheel out for rinsing then drag back, in order to have many days rations going at once. I've also heard both. give it light and cover it up. Which is right?

I thought I should update my BOSS sprouting time! I started them on 10/17 and today is 10/27, so it took 10 days for me to sprout BOSS to my satisfaction!! :drool It sure takes longer than barley!! I only have 8 chickens, so this whole tray will be used for 2 days!
Wow, that seems like so much food. Ten days is a long time to get only 2 days worth. I guess I'll have to get one of those tray deals on wheels for the garage to wheel out for rinsing then drag back, in order to have many days rations going at once. I've also heard both. give it light and cover it up. Which is right?
I don't know the logic behind covering it up, but the fodder does need light for photosynthesis. And while it isn't necessary since the grain has all the energy the sprout needs for a while, added energy is always helpful, especially when it's going to be eaten.

I don't know the logic behind covering it up, but the fodder does need light for photosynthesis. And while it isn't necessary since the grain has all the energy the sprout needs for a while, added energy is always helpful, especially when it's going to be eaten.

Hi "crazy" from "nowhere" glad to hear from you or to get your input anyway. My hens were doing great on a small amt. of feed (their choice) and lots of foraging, with treats several times a day like tortillas or chick peas, leftover spaghetti, etc. I get 5 pullets that are half grown and they change everything. They had never free ranged and just hang out by the food and eat pretty much non stop. Now I am going thru feed real fast when before my girls ate only a little of it. I know some breeds are better foragers than others, but these don't seem to do it at all, certainly not like my girls used to do. So I'm anxious to get this fermenting and sprouting down correctly and get it underway. It sounds like barley is the best sprouter and everything ferments well. I do appreciate all the good advice I've been getting! THX : )

Back
Top Bottom