Growing fodder for chickens

I had to laugh when I saw this thread!  I have been doing this for years, but for my consumption!  I juice wheat grass all the time and gave the chickens and quail the bottom half.  Now I know what those longing looks were saying: "Dude, where is the rest of the plant!"  I have have started a whole bunch of trays so everyone can have their wheat grass every day!  I challenge the rest of you do grow an extra pan of wheat grass for you and your family.  It is great stuff.

You should try adding barley to your mix. It is a bit more bitter than wheat to eat (which is why most people use wheat instead) but is loaded with vitimins and minerals. Once you get use to it you wont be able to get eneough.

When I'm feeding the horses I quite often have a nibble (after all it is right there!) I love sprouted lupins (roots and all), small amounts of barley and the chia is very similar to alfalfa. I've found that sunflower seed taste rancid when sprouted which is part of the reason I switched to chia. Also chia has a better mix of the omegas...

I'm going to assume that lupin and lupine are not the same thing? I've always been told that they are toxic.

Ok, I just looked them up (should have done ages ago, apparently). Lupin IS lupine and they are used as a source of feed. They belong to the pea family.

Apparently though, there is a Mediterranean variety which has the toxic seed pods and an American variety which is considered "sweet" and can be eaten.

How do you know if you have American or Mediterranean lupines?

Last edited:
Great idea! For this winter, I just cut them loose in the garden for the gleanings and the grazing but it's not enough. I've been wondering about just this topic. Thank you for your post.

Oh dear. My husband may just kill me, but I really want to try this. If I put it in the basement maybe he won't notice.
thumbsup.gif

I'm going to assume that lupin and lupine are not the same thing?  I've always been told that they are toxic. 

Ok, I just looked them up (should have done ages ago, apparently).  Lupin IS lupine and they are used as a source of feed.  They belong to the pea family.

Apparently though, there is a Mediterranean variety which has the toxic seed pods and an American variety which is considered "sweet" and can be eaten.

How do you know if you have American or Mediterranean lupines?

I buy the lupins from the stockfeed (generally fed whole to sheep and cattle or soaked and given to other stock), and as I said in an earlier post generally anything the animal can eat the whole seed/grain of is safe for them to eat the whole sprout (I can't think of any exceptions but someone will probably come up with some).

Yes it is a legume ie related to peas and beans and as such it is high in protein. it is good to balance out a ration particularly if you have high producing hens. Or want/need to put some weight on any other stock.

I buy the lupins from the stockfeed (generally fed whole to sheep and cattle or soaked and given to other stock), and as I said in an earlier post generally anything the animal can eat the whole seed/grain of is safe for them to eat the whole sprout (I can't think of any exceptions but someone will probably come up with some).

Yes it is a legume ie related to peas and beans and as such it is high in protein. it is good to balance out a ration particularly if you have high producing hens. Or want/need to put some weight on any other stock.
Is that a local supplier?

I put a thin layer as my tray is not large, I rinse with cold water and set it over the sink to drain for a bit before putting it in the
Bottom tray. As I rinse I shake gently to spread them out again after spraying. Knock on wood, I haven't had any mold.
Doing BOSS now and already sprouting.

Love the idea. I tried rye grass seed. It came up very nice. But there was still too much greenery for them to eat. My girls did not even touch it. But leave an herb or blueberry plants where they can get to it and they will eat it down to the roots. Thanks for the info. I am going to try this again.

I am getting my barley seed from a Health Food Store here in Missouri. I want to make sure it is organic and not GMO. I am including a link to all the questions that you might have on the fodder growing to how much to feed animals. This woman is very knowledgeable in using this system. She is so good at it Mother Earth News asked her to write an article for them to help people. Hope it helps those who have questions.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sprouted-fodder.aspx

I am so excited by this thread
big_smile.png
My otherwise wonderful man has been harassing me for spending too much money on certified organic, non-GMO, corn/soy free layer feed for our 6 lovely pullets. Won't he be surprised in the morning when I tell him I ordered 5 lbs of (certified organic) hard red wheat to start growing fodder!
wee.gif
I can't wait until the Friday delivery!

Back
Top Bottom