Growing fodder for chickens

I didn't use anything in the soak water to prevent mold, but I did rinse with a mild bleach solution the first time. My fodder is on day 4 with no mold that I can see, and a very sweet, fresh scent. I water it 2-3 times a day and make sure it it's mostly drained before setting it on the drip tray on my kitchen counter.

I love the idea! Picked up a 50lb bag of wheat for $20. At the feed store they told me their boss would not grow but the mixed pigeon food would which contains boss, wheat, barley, safflower and others so I grabbed 2.5 lbs of it to try. What growing medium do you use? Or do you just pile the seeds up? I can't tell from the pics

I love the idea! Picked up a 50lb bag of wheat for $20. At the feed store they told me their boss would not grow but the mixed pigeon food would which contains boss, wheat, barley, safflower and others so I grabbed 2.5 lbs of it to try. What growing medium do you use? Or do you just pile the seeds up? I can't tell from the pics
Just soak the seeds, spread them out about half inch thick, that's what I do. Only been doing this 3 weeks. After day 4 or so, the rootlets start sticking together to make a mat.

Last edited:

I was in a pinch and jumped head first into fodder......started w 2 trays a day......designed a whole shelf system in my greenhouse but it was failing.....so I went and found two pallets that matched.....turned the top boards to the inside and put a board on top and screwed them together....now I have an 8 shelf watering system and a 4 tray green station and a soaking station......only cost me the price of the trays and the time....(and a PACKED GREENHOUSE!!!) but the chickens the horse and the goat seem to love it......my only question is there seems to be a lot of grass that goes wasted by all the animals........anyone know how to get the horse to eat the fodder and not just rip it all to peices.....?????

I was in a pinch and jumped head first into fodder......started w 2 trays a day......designed a whole shelf system in my greenhouse but it was failing.....so I went and found two pallets that matched.....turned the top boards to the inside and put a board on top and screwed them together....now I have an 8 shelf watering system and a 4 tray green station and a soaking station......only cost me the price of the trays and the time....(and a PACKED GREENHOUSE!!!) but the chickens the horse and the goat seem to love it......my only question is there seems to be a lot of grass that goes wasted by all the animals........anyone know how to get the horse to eat the fodder and not just rip it all to peices.....?????
Nice setup!

Some of my horses are picky with the fodder while others chow down. If I feed it to them before their hay, they all do better with it.

Nice setup!

Some of my horses are picky with the fodder while others chow down. If I feed it to them before their hay, they all do better with it. 

I've had lots of horses that only eat the "green stuff" to begin with (sheep too for that matter). They do work it out eventually and when they do they hunt out all the stuff that they have thrown everywhere. In my situation the "cleanup crew" is usually waiting around their feet for anything they "throw away". Clean up crew consists of chickens, geese and the local galahs.

I just started and was successful I would say. I have learned a lot from this thread but do have a question about mold.

If you find mold can you still use? I am the type who throws out bread and cheese the minute I see a speck but my DH is the opposite and will simply pick off the visible mold and then use. Was wondering what applies for fodder?

What are some tips for reducing mold? Did I water too much, not often enough, more drainage?

What is the temperature where you are growing your fodder ? It only needs 60-65 degrees. If you get up in the 75 degree area, your chances of mold go way up....mold loves warm, moist places.

Also, add a capfull of bleach to your seed soaking in water the first day, before your seeds go in the trays. That cuts the odds of mold way down as well.

What is the temperature where you are growing your fodder ?  It only needs 60-65 degrees.  If you get up in the 75 degree area, your chances of mold go way up....mold loves warm, moist places.

Also, add a capfull of bleach to your seed soaking in water the first day, before your seeds go in the trays.  That cuts the odds of mold way down as well.
Thanks for the tips... I would say the temp was ok for the most part but we do have fires in the evening which makes it a tad warmer. Next time I think I'll grow in the basement.

Good idea!

The horse? Keep him a little more hungry.

Back
Top Bottom