Growing fodder for chickens

Quote: I think my kitchen counters are just too chilly. If I wait too long, all I am going to get is mold. I am trying layer "pellets". I was doing that back last spring. I used yogurt as a starter and it was great. But THEN I read that you shouldn't use yogurt, but instead use buttermilk with live cultures. I just didn't like how that turned out. I resorted to just wetting it down and for morning feedings I add some yogurt. I read that it is still beneficial to at least wet their food. With seed, at least soak it. So that's what I am gonna do. I am going to try another experiment with BOSS, using a bit of chlorine in the first soaking. I will rinse it really well. My earlier post was confusing. I was trying three experiments at once: Sprouting BOSS, fermenting some scratch and trying to sprout some wheat that I had picked out of the scratch. If the temperature for sprouting and fermenting needs to be at least seventy degrees, I am out of luck, for awhile.

I think my kitchen counters are just too chilly. If I wait too long, all I am going to get is mold. I am trying layer "pellets". I was doing that back last spring. I used yogurt as a starter and it was great. But THEN I read that you shouldn't use yogurt, but instead use buttermilk with live cultures. I just didn't like how that turned out. I resorted to just wetting it down and for morning feedings I add some yogurt. I read that it is still beneficial to at least wet their food. With seed, at least soak it. So that's what I am gonna do. I am going to try another experiment with BOSS, using a bit of chlorine in the first soaking. I will rinse it really well. My earlier post was confusing. I was trying three experiments at once: Sprouting BOSS, fermenting some scratch and trying to sprout some wheat that I had picked out of the scratch. If the temperature for sprouting and fermenting needs to be at least seventy degrees, I am out of luck, for awhile.

Yeah that was a little confusing. I didn't realize you were talking about fermenting your feed. Thought you were trying to grow your layer feed.
roll.png
You CAN use yogurt, just use the plain, unsweetened kind with lots of active cultures in it. You can also use unprocessed apple cider vinegar. There is a thread for fermenting feed on here... its lengthy and gets off topic often but it is the best group of people to talk with.

I broke my little fodder mat in half and tried it out with the girls over the weekend- they LOVED it! And I loved watching them pick out individual strands and gobble it down
clap.gif
I'll give them the other half today when my boyfriend gets home with his kids, they were at their mom's and I wanted to save some for them. In the meantime, I've started a second batch of wheat seeds, and I'm looking for more containers so I can get a good system going! Yay fodder!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom