Growing fodder for chickens

I'm finding that only the top half of my seeds are sprouting while the bottom layer ferments. Anybody else with this issue? I've been adding more holes to my trays and less grain but that's not making a big difference. I'm not overly concerned; saves me from running a separate fermenting operation :D It would be nice if all the grains in a batch would sprout, though.

I wonder if it is too wet and the heat is too high? Not rinsing enough? Mine ferments when the temps rise if I only rinse once a day. It is cool enough now that I'm getting away with once a day. I have my trays in my unfinished office building that is only lightly heated for now.

I'm having difficulty finding anything other than bird seed, millet (which they eat last), boss, and wheat. I've tried several farm stores and they give me the blow off since the horse people don't want it and I would need small quantities. I haven't tried online ordering since the prices including shipping make it less worthwhile than a bag of the best organic layer ration that I get local.

I wonder if it is too wet and the heat is too high? Not rinsing enough? Mine ferments when the temps rise if I only rinse once a day. It is cool enough now that I'm getting away with once a day. I have my trays in my unfinished office building that is only lightly heated for now.

I'm having difficulty finding anything other than bird seed, millet (which they eat last), boss, and wheat. I've tried several farm stores and they give me the blow off since the horse people don't want it and I would need small quantities. I haven't tried online ordering since the prices including shipping make it less worthwhile than a bag of the best organic layer ration that I get local.
Any food co-op kinds of stores around you where they have a bulk section?

I'm having difficulty finding anything other than bird seed, millet (which they eat last), boss, and wheat. I've tried several farm stores and they give me the blow off since the horse people don't want it and I would need small quantities. I haven't tried online ordering since the prices including shipping make it less worthwhile than a bag of the best organic layer ration that I get local.

Heat is crazy expensive (electric, $300+/month!) so my thermostats are set around 16/17 (I don't know fahrenheit, but it's several degrees below room temperature); maybe that's still too warm for barley? I rinse twice daily for sure, three times most days.

Who do you get your organic layer ration from? Perhaps the supplier of the layer ration will also have whole grain organic grain products available that your local store could order along with their regular order. Can't hurt to call and ask.

Quote:
You've obviously gotten the hang of this fodder thing. Lovely greens. Can you tell me about what temperature your shelf or counter is, where you get them started? Do you move them to a sunny spot after they start to root or when the green starts. I'm a little confused on that. I'm thinking mine didn't do anything else after they first started tiny roots, because my counters are too cold.

Why not just order a 50# bag? It would last a long long time, is cheaper than smaller amounts (per pound), and you could likely get some a lot easier? Yeah, its a bit more costly at first but it would save you a lot of time and trouble in trying to locate smaller bags. Just store it somewhere out of the way and keep a gallon (or whatever size) container of it in the house for easy access.

Heat is crazy expensive (electric, $300+/month!) so my thermostats are set around 16/17 (I don't know fahrenheit, but it's several degrees below room temperature); maybe that's still too warm for barley? I rinse twice daily for sure, three times most days.
Do you lay your trays flat or are they tilted so the water can drain out well? Sometimes, I find that even though there are plenty of holes on the bottom, that the water doesn't run through after a certain amount has run out (lack of pressure?). So I have put paper towels under the pans to "wick" the water out of the pans. Rinse and squeeze them out really well when you rinse your seeds and replace after draining your pans til they stop.

Why not just order a 50# bag?  It would last a long long time, is cheaper than smaller amounts (per pound), and you could likely get some a lot easier?  Yeah, its a bit more costly at first but it would save you a lot of time and trouble in trying to locate smaller bags.  Just store it somewhere out of the way and keep a gallon (or whatever size) container of it in the house for easy access. 

Do you lay your trays flat or are they tilted so the water can drain out well?  Sometimes, I find that even though there are plenty of holes on the bottom, that the water doesn't run through after a certain amount has run out (lack of pressure?).  So I have put paper towels under the pans to "wick" the water out of the pans.  Rinse and squeeze them out really well when you rinse your seeds and replace after draining your pans til they stop.

Flat. And yes, there were drainage issues with my first hole-punch pattern; it seems to be better now that I have more holes. Someone was saying something about maybe replacing the bottoms with a mesh or screen of sorts (I think it may have been you?); I may build such trays when the snow goes away. (Ha! Not likely to happen anytime soon, stupid never-ending winter!)

You've obviously gotten the hang of this fodder thing.  Lovely greens.  Can you tell me about what temperature your shelf or counter is, where you get them started?  Do you move them to a sunny spot after they start to root or when the green starts.  I'm a little confused on that.  I'm thinking mine didn't do anything else after they first started tiny roots, because my counters are too cold.

I keep them in my house which is about 72 degrees. I use warm water to rinse them about 3 times a day . But I put them in sink and let water run about 5 minutes a piece. Then I put them in a big storage container with a 25-40 watt light on them . (Lid off) and that's it. I use wheat because it's readily available around here. I do put them on counter during the day to get sun and we did have a couple of days that were in 60's so I set them out side. The light I use at night or on cold days.

Back
Top Bottom