Growing fodder for chickens

I'm finding that only the top half of my seeds are sprouting while the bottom layer ferments. Anybody else with this issue? I've been adding more holes to my trays and less grain but that's not making a big difference. I'm not overly concerned; saves me from running a separate fermenting operation :D It would be nice if all the grains in a batch would sprout, though.

My first lot did that , so I laid it in the trays about an inch thick this time and watered 3 times a day instead of twice. I use a a watering can with soft spray attached. Water the top one and let it trickle down to next 2 shelves. This lot had no slime or funky smell about it.

I keep them in my house which is about 72 degrees. I use warm water to rinse them about 3 times a day . But I put them in sink and let water run about 5 minutes a piece. Then I put them in a big storage container with a 25-40 watt light on them . (Lid off) and that's it. I use wheat because it's readily available around here. I do put them on counter during the day to get sun and we did have a couple of days that were in 60's so I set them out side. The light I use at night or on cold days.

Close to what I do. I am on day 6 and have nice green stuff, it's working great!! I just rinse mine for a minute or so twice a day.

Last edited:
Heat is crazy expensive (electric, $300+/month!) so my thermostats are set around 16/17 (I don't know fahrenheit, but it's several degrees below room temperature); maybe that's still too warm for barley? I rinse twice daily for sure, three times most days.

Optimum temp for barley growth is about 21 degrees (celcius), It will still grow at about 16/17 but will be slow. If you rinse with warm (not hot) water it might help. How deep is your seed? You may need to improve drainage - either by tilting the tray and allowing it to drain at one end (put a block of wood under one end) or by "stiring" up the seed when you rinse for the first few days before your root mat starts to form. The seeds underneath generally do sprout they just sometimes take a little longer. The other think you could try is a fan to create some airflow.

I don't know if it is a possibility where you are but if you can get one of the little mini greenhouses (or create one with some plastic and a frame) it should help with the heat too as the growing barley creates its own thermal mass.

So much interesting information regarding fodder, myth and truth.

In this post by UC Cooperative Extension, the author addresses the perceived of value hydroponically grown fodder. In summary, his research suggests that there is an actual decrease in nutritional value when sprouted and the costs are actually more.

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11721

"But isn’t the nutritional quality better? There is little doubt that sprouts are highly palatable to livestock—witness the relish with which animals consume it in web photos and videos. High moisture feeds are frequently quite palatable. However, we do not have data to suggest that barley ‘forage’ is superior to feeding other forages with similar analyses, or even better than feeding barley directly. The feeding value of the shoot/seed/root mixture may not be better than the initial barley seeds themselves. Fazaeli et al. (2012) found that true protein decreased, and the non-fiber carbohydrate, Metabolic Energy, and in-vitro gas production decreased in sprouted barley compared with the raw seed, and there were losses in DM yield."

Last edited:
he.gif
roll.png

Years ago I read that Vitamin E levels rise dramatically in alfalfa seeds as they sprout, then drop as they mature. I'm hoping it's similar with all seeds.
Now that our rain has finally started, it's pouring, so fodder will be the only greens they get.

Last edited:
Sprouting makes the nutrients in the seeds more available by removing the enzyme inhibitors. I think that much of the analysis available on fodder is skewed because of the water content and loss of dry matter. All in all, in my opinion greens are good for chickens so mine get a fodder mix as part of their diet. In addition, it's entertaining for them to pick through the green shoots. Anything which adds joy to the life of my flock gets an enthusiastic wing up of approval!
yippiechickie.gif

So much interesting information regarding fodder, myth and truth.

In this post by UC Cooperative Extension, the author addresses the perceived of value hydroponically grown fodder. In summary, his research suggests that there is an actual decrease in nutritional value when sprouted and the costs are actually more.

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11721

"But isn’t the nutritional quality better? There is little doubt that sprouts are highly palatable to livestock—witness the relish with which animals consume it in web photos and videos. High moisture feeds are frequently quite palatable. However, we do not have data to suggest that barley ‘forage’ is superior to feeding other forages with similar analyses, or even better than feeding barley directly. The feeding value of the shoot/seed/root mixture may not be better than the initial barley seeds themselves. Fazaeli et al. (2012) found that true protein decreased, and the non-fiber carbohydrate, Metabolic Energy, and in-vitro gas production decreased in sprouted barley compared with the raw seed, and there were losses in DM yield."

The proof is always in the puddin'. There are people that feed 100% fodder, save money and their livestock are healthier. Do you really think million dollar horse and cattle operations would invest in these huge operations if it wasn't better and more affordable?

Back
Top Bottom