Growing fodder for chickens

Okay I been reading but would like to be walked if possible. Couldn't get red wheat. But got just wheat. I guess it would do for now. I bought trays and am ready to start. Yeee. I put holes in bottom and got lost.lol how much do I put in it and do I let it soak over night? I need help

Anyone? I'm sitting here waiting to start
I soak about 10 ounces of wheat berries in a jar overnight.

That will make a one half inch thick layer in my pans.

I drilled holes in my pans so that it drains fairly evenly, as I stack three or four pans on top of each other. I cut open lids that fit the pans so that the drain holes aren't blocked.

I did a bit of trial and error. So maybe you can soak a coffee mug's worth of seeds tonight and see how thick that covers your sprouting container. Mine are about five inches by 8 inches, and 4 inches deep (estimating).

Last edited:
I soak about 10 ounces of wheat berries in a jar overnight. That will make a one half inch thick layer in my pans. I drilled holes in my pans so that it drains fairly evenly, as I stack three or four pans on top of each other. I cut open lids that fit the pans so that the drain holes aren't blocked. I did a bit of trial and error. So maybe you can soak a coffee mug's worth of seeds tonight and see how thick that covers your sprouting container. Mine are about five inches by 8 inches, and 4 inches deep (estimating).
OK so a cup would give me how many 8x10. I guess it grows. And at the beginning it says to wash it

If you have an 8 by 10, I would rinse two cups of dry seeds in hot water, then soak them in four cups of water overnight. They do swell up.

And then see if the two cups will make a half inch deep layer of seeds in your pan. If you go a little thicker I don't think it will hurt, or you could just set the extra soaked seeds in a smaller bowl and just sprout them in that. The first time I always need to make adjustments.

If you have an 8 by 10, I would rinse two cups of dry seeds in hot water, then soak them in four cups of water overnight.  They do swell up.

And then see if the two cups will make a half inch deep layer of seeds in your pan.  If you go a little thicker I don't think it will hurt, or you could just set the extra soaked seeds in a smaller bowl and just sprout them in that.  The first time I always need to make adjustments.  
thank you for your help. Will do. I guess I soak for 24 hours correct

Back
Top Bottom