Growing fodder for chickens

Going by other people's experience, it sounds like the greens are valuable, but if the chickens still go, like crazy, for the pellets, then the fodder isn't completing their requirements, of what their bodies are telling them they need. Mine will forage for hours, but take a break and go back to the pen for some pellets. They don't eat near as much of the pellets when the greens are available. Tillyita adds chia to her fodder. The chart that was posted showed how high it is in nutrients (high in protein and calcium). I am aiming for that, next winter. I don't know that I can accomplish that, this winter unless I get an "indoor greenhouse" so I can keep the seeds at a constant temperature.

I am not growing enough, I thought I made that clear, other than calcium, fodder is plenty, MORE THAN what they actually "need". Wheat or Barley is really all they need, if you all want to put all that extra stuff in there, that's great, but they don't need it. I originally looked into this to save money and have learned that it is more nutritious than pellets too, so that's just a bonus. I just need to grow more quantity. Easy enough to do.

.... I'm trying to go fully fodder(other than grit and calcium). I fed them about 14 pounds yesterday, [of fodder] and they didn't get enough, I fed them about 2 gallons of pellets a little later and they were on it hard like they were hungry. Before fodder, I fed them 2 3 gallon bucket fulls a day. Not sure how many pounds that is. Once I get to where they are not hungry, I'm sure they will have all the nutrition they need.
I assume you are speaking about dry weight before the fodder was sprouted. Since a pint's a pound the world around, one gallon of dry grain is equal to 8 pounds so 14 pounds of dry fodder grains equals 1 & 3/4 gallons or about the same amount of pellets you fed in addition to the 14# of dry fodder seeds.

And still we have not addressed whether the additional pellets was enough to slake your chickens hunger for the day. So we likely still need to feed another 16 pounds of pellets or almost the same amount of pellets we fed before plus the fodder just to equal the food value in the chickens' diet before the fodder feeding began.

Am I seeing a trend here or what?
idunno.gif

If you wish to feed sprouted grains to your chickens because it makes you happy, feel good, or for any other reason, by all means do so. But too much fodder will bring on starvation in a flock of laying hens and will stunt the growth of a flock of broilers as sure as day follows night.

Last edited:
Hello everybody
I am trying my hand at fodder as well, I did it last year in the summer and was ok, this year I just started yesterday were my first trays still have a bit of changes to do.
I am doing barley fodder for my chickens , ducks and horses (the first 2 trays at day 7 were not so even I put too much seeds on the trays)
The ducks like it better than the chickens,but the chickens will eat them just not as fast as the ducks.
Besides that I sprout (barley oats wheat lentils and sunflower seeds) about 15.% protein dry so sprouted should be a bit better.
I ferment oats.
And they get a 20% grain mix I made for them.
Must seem like lots of work but my chickens are happy and my wallet as well.
Now I just need a better weather.

since a seed is like an egg and sprouting logically usrs up the stored energy can one add a liquid fertilizer to the spritz or rinse

That's where I am confused I always thought it was the sprout that was packed. There must some where that has done all the who ple haha to find out.

I think that depends what grain/ mix you use in the beginning.
I have not find god info on this so I just go for experience (not that I have much).
It is suppose that sprouting the grains to 3 days should increase the value.
Fodder not clear but has to be by day 7 other wise you are to late and the green is what has the value not the grain any more.
In my case my chickens will eat the fodder so they get the green that don't get because of the winter that is the only reason why I do it, the ducks most of the ducks diet should be greens so for them is a full ration, and my horses as well I only give them a bit on hay I pay 15 for a small bale here so is really expensive.
Dairy cows are the same as horses you just need to supplement with hay and if you want more production with grains/pellets but that along is another discussion.
On the sprouting this is the biggie for the chickens you know for sure they will eat them so they will be getting the nutrients of all the grain you get in the mix but because are at the 3rd day the value is higher.

Back
Top Bottom