Growing fodder for chickens

Today is my very first day giving the girls fodder lets see how much they like it
caf.gif

I think growing sprouts can be a little addictive, just like raising chickens.

But now that I've got the hang of it, I'll use it to supplement their feed.
Thanks guys,for all the handy tips.
very pretty fodder.

Last edited:
With this said and Im new so it may have been said before if you or a chicken ingests to much protein we just excrete it. so the question then is what is the RDA for chickens ducks ect Does anyone have that info? The reason Americans are grossly obese is because the wivestale of eating til we get our fill of nutrients is believedquote name="MamaKitty913" url="/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens/3390#post_12824321"]Hi I found a couple of great articles about this the first describes protein [COLOR=000000]
(3) A List of the Protein Levels of Different Feeds

[/COLOR]
Code:
 [B] FOOD SOURCE %PROTEIN, BY WT [/B] Dried fish flakes 76 Dried liver 76 Dried earthworms 76 Duckweed 50 Torula yeast 50 Brewers yeast 39 Soybeans (dry roasted) 37 Flaxseed 37 Alfalfa seed 35 Beef, lean 28 Earthworms 28 Fish 28 Sunflower seeds 26.3 Wheat germ 25 Peas & Beans, dried 24.5 Sesame seed 19.3 Soybeans (boiled) 17 Wheat bran 16.6 Oats, whole 14 Rice polish 12.8 Rye 12.5 Wheat 12.5 Barley 12.3 Oats 12 Corn 9 Millet 9 Milo 9 Rice, brown 7.5
[/quote]

well I feed it to them. I don't know if I over feed or if they didn't like it so much. Will see tomorrow. Should I feed their normal food. They look hungry yet still have fodder.
Yes. I use the fodder as supplement to reg feed. and it's something they have to get use to, first time I put it out I was disappointed in them not running up and gobbling it down but the more I have been feeding it the more they like it.

Yes. I use the fodder as supplement  to reg feed. and it's something they have to get use to, first time I put it out I was disappointed in them not running up and gobbling it down but the more I have been feeding it the more they like it. 
what a relief. I thought my hard work was down the drain. I have two horses one smelled it and walk away. The other couldn't have enough. We are all different I guess they are to. Lol

Yes. I use the fodder as supplement  to reg feed. and it's something they have to get use to, first time I put it out I was disappointed in them not running up and gobbling it down but the more I have been feeding it the more they like it. 
what a relief. I thought my hard work was down the drain. I have two horses one smelled it and walk away. The other couldn't have enough. We are all different I guess they are to. Lol

I've found that horse that have been fed barley at some point - like the barley fodder pretty much straight off, and ones which haven't have to "acquire" the taste. It's still very funny watching them eat it for the first time thought - they don't know what to do with it when they can't just "crop the top".

My chickens and geese pretty much ate it straight away - but that was probably because they had been raiding it off the horses long before they got their own biscuts. Gave it to the new ducklings recently - the first time they didn't know what to do with it. The second time around (about a week later) they scoffed the lot in record time!

Quote: All protein values in the above list are per weight. For instance dried fish flaks are valued @ 76% protein while fresh fish (water included) is valued at only 28% That is almost a 300% difference.

The average human body is 65% water, the same as fresh fish or liver. After all the other minerals are deducted from your body mass there is about 75% protein remaining in your dried out body, again about the same as in fresh fish verses the protein in dried fish. The form of the protein changed (from wet to dry) but the total amount of protein remained constant.

"The First Law of Matter says that "Matter can neither be created nor can matter be destroyed but that all matter can be changed from one form into another." Your hens eat, drink, and breath; chicken feed, oyster shells, oxygen and water, then change the form of this matter (hopefully) into grade A large eggs. The grains used for sprouts were grown from minerals in the soil, water, CO2, and sunlight but once harvested the food energy, mineral, and vitamin content in the grain is fixed or finite and it can neither be increased nor diminished.

By awaking the germ of life in the grain you are forcing the seed to sprout and this causes the grain to change its form into a less notorious but more abundant form called roots, stems, and leaves. However the total amount of food nutrition remains constant. Except, depending on how much or how often that the grain was washed in the sprouting process, major portions of the food nutrients may have leached out and gone down the drain. Again matter (protein) was neither created nor was matter destroyed, but in this case part of this food nutrition (matter) became sewage and another part was changed into an indigestible form (to a chicken) called cellulose. If anyone can construct a new paradigm refuting almost 300 years of scientific thought and learning on this subject by all means lay the proof on me, I am open to change as much as the next person.

Here is the science george. Soaking the seed releases growth inhibitors george. This in turn allows phytochemicals to release the stored energy and nutrients. Sprouting george allows increasd activity of hydrolytic enzymes which allows inprovements of total protein fat CERTAIN ammino acids sugar and. b vitamins george and a decrease in phytates and protease inhibitorsTHIS IS THE METABOLIC EEFECTS scientifically proven effects of the sprouting process george. In otherwords most of your bunk science and theoties are wrong. Theres no fool like an ol fool george. Notice I said Most. but the best lies are the ones mixed with some truth. I suggest read the Chavav and Kaden study based on science. that shows an increase of proteins due to the proteolytic activity during sprouting. Read george. One thing you were right about george is crude fibre in barley. it increases from 3.75 seed to 6 percent in a 5 day sprout. The important thing george that has changed in the last 60 yrs is GoogleGeorge

now all we need is the optimal age for sprouts so they still are packed with goodies but have not used up all the stored energy in the seed. just my .02 though.....

There is a LOT of misinfo bunk science and out right lies floating a round out there do your homework rather than buying the latest fad is all Im saying here my peeps. meanwhile.enjoy your birds

Back
Top Bottom