Growing fodder for chickens

I just started growing fodder about two weeks ago. I'm loving it so far! I'm alternating BOSS and wheat. Unfortunately, barley is pretty impossible to find in my area. The chickens still aren't real sure about it, but they seem to be eating more and more.

Ok chikmix Id like a break down and before I forget Ive asked before and didnt get an answer Id like to know can you ferment sprouts fodder? The pros cons and special conditions. that sort of stuff on that issue. The skinny if you will anyway different grains have different nutrients as I mentioned if you just feed barley your chickens will suffer What ratios of what grain sprouts fodder should one usee for optimal health? Malcom mentioned to compare different commercial feeds then convert my concern is whatever the. Lowest level of essential amino acid is a human can only utilize the other essentials to thhat level no matter how high or quality of protein. available Does my ? make sense
Chickens are way different than humans, you can't compare how they convert foods to how we do. I admit, I still have a lot of research to do myself, but as far as I've seen, fodder is at the very least, a good main meal. I have been giving a good snack of pellets late afternoon as I am unsure of what they might be missing out on nutritionally. Even by doing that though, I'm at a little over 1 bag of pellets a week for around 70 chickens. It has helped my wallet out significantly and they are still looking and acting normal. Been feeding them this for about 2 weeks now, if they were worse for wear, they would show it by now. Chickens are delicate when it comes to their food and water, they can go downhill fast.

Last edited:
I use fodder during the winter months because there is no forage for them to eat when they are out free ranging. I noticed that my birds always eat the newly sprouted weeds/grass before scratching in the bushes for bugs and worms. I do ferment feed (scratch and feed wheat) I also add rooster booster to my water that is used to ferment my feed. It has vitamins, minerals and probiotics that I want to make sure my chickens get. I also use Layena omega-3 layer feed in hanging feeders . My point is I try to give my chickens as much as the dietary needs they would find themselves naturally. I have some of the healthiest birds I have ever owned. I found this thread looking for ways to get the green stuff my chickens wanted in their diet. I probably will quit growing fodder this spring while the plants are sprouting and growing. I might, depends on our summer, grow it again while the green forage is dormant again because of the heat. After all we all are trying to replicate what is found naturally in our birds diet! By doing so we get the added benefits of healthy, non sick, chickens and a ton of eggs that is better for us than store bought. There are many ways,good fellow chicken lovers have found and shared with us, by their own experience, different ways to provide for your birds.( and other animals) That is what BYC Is about community of chickenholics sharing there knowledge and wisdom with people like me to learn and grow. A chance for us to share our experiences and what works best for us with each other. It's about working together, learning, sharing, growing and living with the added benefits of being able to do so socially via the great World Wide Web! With that said I hope everyone has an awesome day!

Thx you both thats what I mean exactly the natural way. and Id like to skip most of the learning lolI was a little confusing in that I used humans nutrition as an example but Im sure you couldnt just feed them grass say so there has to be a formula. Otherwise big business would only sell the cheap crap to make more money. Ill check out the vids and info. Im sure thats what Im asking for.tho Thx and right back at ya michaelf

Back
Top Bottom