Growing fodder for chickens

Quote: What are those little characters called? Emoticons? I am looking for one that is pulling its hair out, but evidently, there isn't one. I think there are SOME people who are sure they can (feed fodder and not need pellets). I'm not one. I do not base my decision on Science or, for that matter, the word of any one on here, though some sound like they know what they are talking about. I don't see my girls living off grass and seed, alone, during the warm part of the year, so I will never rely on fodder, alone. If fodder was enough, they would not be running around catching everything that moves, fighting over it and gulping it down. That includes all sorts of bugs, insects, worms, grubs (they wiped out the entire June bug population that lived in front of my shop, where a dusk-to-dawn light attracts them, although there wasn't much grass left in the ground by the time they hunted them all out), anything that flies (except bees and wasps), frogs, lizards, baby toads and small rodents. No way does fodder have all THOSE goodies. Of course, they eat MUCH less pellets/commercial feed during the warm months, but they DO still go for it, in the coop, a few times a day.

Seriously, this is way better for your chickens than some concoction a manufacturer put together, healthier too. I am well on my way to eliminating those pellets, but not until I know they have enough. I'm making a consistent 13 pounds tare weight right now, I am going to try to get to around 20 pounds a day.

If you have a container with lid you could fill it almost full leaving a little head space then carefully take a small chuck of dryice in a small bowl or container put it on top of the grain and place a tight fitting lid on container. Or if it is a metal barrel take a small volitile candle and put that in a non burnable container light and put the lid on. Both methods depetes the oxygen and kills the bugs. obviously it has to be an airtight lid

Hate to mention the obvious but feed pellets are a relitively new convenience when dad was on the farm everyone fed and slopped their livestock not the feed store so its doable. I think the confusion lies one in thinking the chicken or animal or human for that matter eats intuitively for nutrient. Two ypu cant just feed an animal just barley and expect it to thrive just good common sense really and three if you are looking for a egg pumping machine rather than a dependable chicken not on steriods this probably isnt for you. Like I told chicken george dont let thosewho say it cant be done get in the way of the people who are doing it Just my advise

I think that variety is the key. Mine have sprouts twice a week. Sardines in oil with cooked pasta twice a week, pellets in mixed grain on free take and ATM all the pears and plums they can eat.
I hope that somewhere in there are all the things they need to provide me with big healthy eggs.
My last isa brown died at Xmas and she was 8 years old, not a bad innings for a chook.

I started a trial run of wheat seeds last Wednesday, and they are barely at the sprouting stage. The grass is maybe about 5mm long at the biggest. I followed directions from many sources very well so far. It says that it should be done in 6-8 days, which it's at 6 days now, and it's not even hardly started. The only other variable is that I have them under grow lights in my basement, where it's about 50 degrees.

Is it a combo of the grow lights/cold basement weather?

Here is the science george. Soaking the seed releases growth inhibitors George

Here is the real science, from a real scientist, who is involved in doing real science. Please post real science from a real a scientist supporting your stated position.
As per this real scientist at Ohio State U the portion of a chickens' gut that is responsible for the digestion of fiber is only a scant 4 inches long (or about as long as your forefinger) and it is largely nonfunctioning because it has atrophied over millenniums much like your appendix or mine has atrophied from disuse. There is a truism in animal husbandry that states that short digestive tracks are responsible for more food nutrients being lost or pass unabsorbed in the manure.
The part of the below quote in bold italics was highlighted by myself simply to make it easier and clearer for the reader or readers to read and understand. I highly recommend that anyone seriously interested in the welfare of their chickens to click on and view and read this link or similar links. There is a real chickens' digestive system displayed here.

from John Anderson, Dept. of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University. Used with permission.
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/chicken_digestion.htm
"In most livestock, teeth function to grind feed into smaller particles. Birds must pass feed usually whole into the esophagus because they do not have teeth. Therefore, particles of poultry feed should be small enough to pass through the esophagus. Feed passes from the mouth and through the precrop esophagus to the crop. If the proventriculus and gizzard are full, feed is stored in the crop. Feed is also moistened in the crop.
Feed passes from the crop through the postcrop esophagus to the proventriculus. The proventriculus (a glandular type of stomach) secretes acid and enzymes. The acid and enzymes are mixed with the feed to start the digestive process. The feed then passes to the gizzard (a mechanical type of stomach). The gizzard has very strong muscular walls that grind the feed. Depending on the type of feed ingested, poultry may also swallow small rocks. These rocks aid in the grinding of harder feed particles in the gizzard.
Feed passes from the gizzard into the small intestine, where additional enzymes are added and digestion occurs. The small intestine also serves to absorb digestion products (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats). You should notice in the photo above that the first part of the small intestine loops around the pancreas (called the duodenal loop). The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes into the small intestine. The small intestine of a mature chicken is more than 4.5 feet in length, which is necessary to provide the surface area required to absorb digested feed.
Two blind pouches called the ceca (singular: cecum) are attached at the junction between the small intestine and large intestine. Microorganisms capable of breaking down fibrous material live in the ceca. However, this is not a significant part of the digestion system in modern birds. Scientists believe that the ceca may have played an important role in the digestion system of ancestors of modern birds.
The large intestine of a mature chicken is relatively short, about 4 inches in length. The large intestine stores undigested waste material and absorbs water from the material. The large intestine connects to the cloaca, which is where the digestive, urinary, and reproductive systems meet. Uric acid is mixed with feces and passes out of the vent. The vent serves also as the point where eggs pass out of the bird body."

Hate to mention the obvious but feed pellets are a relitively new convenience when dad was on the farm everyone fed and slopped their livestock not the feed store so its doable. I think the confusion lies one in thinking the chicken or animal or human for that matter eats intuitively for nutrient. Two ypu cant just feed an animal just barley and expect it to thrive just good common sense really and three if you are looking for a egg pumping machine rather than a dependable chicken not on steriods this probably isnt for you. Like I told chicken george dont let thosewho say it cant be done get in the way of the people who are doing it Just my advise
Based on the history of my family, I use deduction (since my Dad isn't here, any longer, to tell me) to figure it out. I am sure when they raised chickens when he was a boy (in the 1920-40s) that they had plenty of kitchen refuse for their chickens to supplement grains and--if they had them--processed feed. When you say that feed pellets (all commercial food?) are a relatively new convenience, how "new" do you mean? I know we used them over fifty years ago when I was just a tot---a crumbly form, anyway. There are so many different opinions in this thread and everyone seems to think they are "right". I don't think it matters unless you cannot afford commercial food or are extremely frugal or don't trust commercial food, etc..... For me, it is more for convenience and I don't have to worry if they are getting enough nutrients. They say that if you put out oyster shell, chickens will eat it if they crave it. Humans will crave certain foods when their bodies need it. And they're stupid enough to eat things they don't need, just like a lot of animals, humans included. So if I see my girls out foraging all day long until it is time to roost, but I see them go eat some pellets (even during the summer when all food-types are plentiful), I am thinking there is something in it that they crave. Or maybe they just like it in the same way I like ice cream. I certainly don't "need" it or "crave" it for nutrition. However, If it is sitting in my freezer and I know it's there----I'm bound to go get some; hopefully, not as often as my hens go for the pellets.

Here is the real science, from a real scientist, who is involved in doing real science. Please post real science from a real a scientist supporting your stated position.
As per this real scientist at Ohio State U the portion of a chickens' gut that is responsible for the digestion of fiber is only a scant 4 inches long (or about as long as your forefinger) and it is largely nonfunctioning because it has atrophied over millenniums much like your appendix or mine has atrophied from disuse. There is a truism in animal husbandry that states that short digestive tracks are responsible for more food nutrients being lost or pass unabsorbed in the manure.
The part of the below quote in bold italics was highlighted by myself simply to make it easier and clearer for the reader or readers to read and understand. I highly recommend that anyone seriously interested in the welfare of their chickens to click on and view and read this link or similar links. There is a real chickens' digestive system displayed here.

from John Anderson, Dept. of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University. Used with permission.
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/chicken_digestion.htm
"In most livestock, teeth function to grind feed into smaller particles. Birds must pass feed usually whole into the esophagus because they do not have teeth. Therefore, particles of poultry feed should be small enough to pass through the esophagus. Feed passes from the mouth and through the precrop esophagus to the crop. If the proventriculus and gizzard are full, feed is stored in the crop. Feed is also moistened in the crop.
Feed passes from the crop through the postcrop esophagus to the proventriculus. The proventriculus (a glandular type of stomach) secretes acid and enzymes. The acid and enzymes are mixed with the feed to start the digestive process. The feed then passes to the gizzard (a mechanical type of stomach). The gizzard has very strong muscular walls that grind the feed. Depending on the type of feed ingested, poultry may also swallow small rocks. These rocks aid in the grinding of harder feed particles in the gizzard.
Feed passes from the gizzard into the small intestine, where additional enzymes are added and digestion occurs. The small intestine also serves to absorb digestion products (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats). You should notice in the photo above that the first part of the small intestine loops around the pancreas (called the duodenal loop). The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes into the small intestine. The small intestine of a mature chicken is more than 4.5 feet in length, which is necessary to provide the surface area required to absorb digested feed.
Two blind pouches called the ceca (singular: cecum) are attached at the junction between the small intestine and large intestine. Microorganisms capable of breaking down fibrous material live in the ceca. However, this is not a significant part of the digestion system in modern birds. Scientists believe that the ceca may have played an important role in the digestion system of ancestors of modern birds.
The large intestine of a mature chicken is relatively short, about 4 inches in length. The large intestine stores undigested waste material and absorbs water from the material. The large intestine connects to the cloaca, which is where the digestive, urinary, and reproductive systems meet. Uric acid is mixed with feces and passes out of the vent. The vent serves also as the point where eggs pass out of the bird body."
Interesting :)

Back
Top Bottom