Growing fodder for chickens

I started a trial run of wheat seeds last Wednesday, and they are barely at the sprouting stage. The grass is maybe about 5mm long at the biggest. I followed directions from many sources very well so far. It says that it should be done in 6-8 days, which it's at 6 days now, and it's not even hardly started. The only other variable is that I have them under grow lights in my basement, where it's about 50 degrees.

Is it a combo of the grow lights/cold basement weather?
I quit trying to sprout seeds in my kitchen because I cannot keep it warm enough on the kitchen counters. They started to barely show a root starting and then they would just stop growing. And it took three days for that tiny root to even start.
I would think it needs to be warmer than 50 degrees. I think someone told me it should be over 65. (they might have said 60) But mold can start to grow, even at forty degrees. I think that is what happened with mine. I kept waiting, hoping they'd grow, but finally mold would start, even though I tried a beginning rinse with vinegar and one time I tried a chlorine laced rinse. They're not supposed to need "light" until the green begins to show. Mine didn't even get that far.

Last edited:
I think that variety is the key. Mine have sprouts twice a week. Sardines in oil with cooked pasta twice a week, pellets in mixed grain on free take and ATM all the pears and plums they can eat.
I hope that somewhere in there are all the things they need to provide me with big healthy eggs.
My last isa brown died at Xmas and she was 8 years old, not a bad innings for a chook.
with all posts this is something I can relate. Yet love this cause I learn a lot. Thank you chickengoerge that was very interesting.

Thank you for explaining why nutrient packed easily digestible sprouts are so good. I think we all understand balance is the key Thanks George

To answer your questions mapa26 yes there are several ways to do things wrd be in a heap a mess if not or alot more OCD ha. I like your icecream theory pregnant women like pickles we eat because our brains a chemical reation just compare 200 calories of fat carbs and protein If you sit down to the table and wolf down a meal youll still be hungry if you then sit down to the very saame plate of food but now take 20 Minutes to eat youll be sated all things equal except Time. I believe you asked about temp and sprouts 70 °s is the optimal temp for sprputs it will take longer at cooler temps.

Based on the history of my family, I use deduction (since my Dad isn't here, any longer, to tell me) to figure it out.  I am sure when they raised chickens when he was a boy (in the 1920-40s) that they had plenty of kitchen refuse for their chickens to supplement grains and--if they had them--processed feed.  When you say that feed pellets (all commercial food?) are a relatively new convenience, how "new" do you mean?  I know we used them over fifty years ago when I was just a tot---a crumbly form, anyway.  There are so many different opinions in this thread and everyone seems to think they are "right".  I don't think it matters unless you cannot afford commercial food or are extremely frugal or don't trust commercial food, etc..... For me, it is more for convenience and I don't have to worry if they are getting enough nutrients.  They say that if you put out oyster shell, chickens will eat it if they crave it.  Humans will crave certain foods when their bodies need it.  And they're stupid enough to eat things they don't need, just like a lot of animals, humans included. So if I see my girls out foraging all day long until it is time to roost, but I see them go eat some pellets (even during the summer when all food-types are plentiful), I am thinking there is something in it that they crave.  Or maybe they just like it in the same way I like ice cream.  I certainly don't "need" it or "crave" it for nutrition.  However, If it is sitting in my freezer and I know it's there----I'm bound to go get some; hopefully, not as often as my hens go for the pellets.
almost forget were talking chicken biology so relitively new in the sense chickens have been being fed. I know most people. think 100 is a long time but not. in the timeframe.of history and breeds chickens are still chickens

Science is always evolving and the big feed companies are constantly trying to find the ' perfect ' balance in a bag. Most of the old timers around here fed wheat alone. Of course their birds were free ranged 24/7 and most of them were destined for the pot. When it comes down to it , it is all trial and error. If your egg production drops or your birds are lousy and unwell, Change your feed regime ! If it's not broke don't fix it !

I quit trying to sprout seeds in my kitchen because I cannot keep it warm enough on the kitchen counters. They started to barely show a root starting and then they would just stop growing. And it took three days for that tiny root to even start.
I would think it needs to be warmer than 50 degrees. I think someone told me it should be over 65. (they might have said 60) But mold can start to grow, even at forty degrees. I think that is what happened with mine. I kept waiting, hoping they'd grow, but finally mold would start, even though I tried a beginning rinse with vinegar and one time I tried a chlorine laced rinse. They're not supposed to need "light" until the green begins to show. Mine didn't even get that far.
We're supposed to finally get some sun tomorrow (I barely even remember what the sun is) so maybe I'll try putting them on a little rack in my living room by the french doors. It's about 65-70 upstairs there so if they change at all maybe I'll figure something else out. I have a Mr. Heater that I can run on the seeds/sprouts for a few hours when I get home from work.

I saw one sprout that looked a little fuzzy a couple days ago, but I picked it out and haven't really seen anything else yet regarding mold. I dug gently with my finger just a couple minutes ago and they appear to be getting a root system, but not much growing up. A lot of the short little sprouts are burgundy colored. Hopefully that's not weird...

Last edited:

I started a trial run of wheat seeds last Wednesday, and they are barely at the sprouting stage. The grass is maybe about 5mm long at the biggest. I followed directions from many sources very well so far. It says that it should be done in 6-8 days, which it's at 6 days now, and it's not even hardly started. The only other variable is that I have them under grow lights in my basement, where it's about 50 degrees. 

Is it a combo of the grow lights/cold basement weather? 

I quit trying to sprout seeds in my kitchen because I cannot keep it warm enough on the kitchen counters.  They started to barely show a root starting and then they would just stop growing.  And it took three days for that tiny root to even start.
I would think it needs to be warmer than 50 degrees.  I think someone told me it should be over 65. (they might have said 60)  But mold can start to grow, even at forty degrees.  I think that is what happened with mine.  I kept waiting, hoping they'd grow, but finally mold would start, even though I tried a beginning rinse with vinegar and one time I tried a chlorine laced rinse. They're not supposed to need "light" until the green begins to show.  Mine didn't even get that far.

Try making a mini green house with a plasitc bag. Rinse with warm water and put a container of hot water under your "greenhouse" to get the temperature up initally. Once the sprouts start to grow they create their own thermal mass and give off excess heat. When I forget to turn the aircon on in my unit the temperature goes up exponetially and unless I flood the system with a chlorine solution everything turns to mould. (I normally avoid chlorine but in this situation its is definitely warrented)

Back
Top Bottom