Growing fodder for chickens

Walmart online hard red wheat from Augason Farms grows well for me. I'd like it to be cheaper but the Blue Seal I got from the feed store grew mold, but not the hard red wheat from Augason. Weirdly, the hard white wheat from Augason did, so I only use the red now.

I use the aluminum pans from the dollar store and I've found I don't need to persist the seeds to get them to sprout. I just putted than an inch of dry seeds back into the pan, cover with a napkin, and get it right back into the system. The napkin keeps the seeds wet and germinates the seeds. It's the next day and I'm already seeing 1 inch green sprouts.

I use the aluminum pans from the dollar store and I've found I don't need to persist the seeds to get them to sprout. I just putted than an inch of dry seeds back into the pan, cover with a napkin, and get it right back into the system. The napkin keeps the seeds wet and germinates the seeds. It's the next day and I'm already seeing 1 inch green sprouts.
Can you clarify a bit? Perhaps you were using your phone and I know how notorious Spell Check is on them. lol! I do like the idea of using aluminum pans, if I could find small ones. But what do you mean when you say "I don't need to persist the seeds to get them to sprout."? And what kind of seeds are you using? It sounds like you are having success. I can only find oats around here and am thinking of resorting to buying wheat from Walmart, online. The ag stores here (Atwoods and Tractor Supply) only carry oats; no barley and no wheat.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone !!! We had a lovely weekend here in middle Ga. Got a lot of yard work done. Still have a lot more. Everyone have a great day / week!

I'm sure it's been covered already many times in this thread, but what is everyone doing to prevent mold? I tired rising with a diluted mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, but it didn't seem to help much. It isn't terrible, but the seeds have little black spots on them, and maybe a couple fuzzies.

And is that too much mold for the birds to have?

Good morning everyone !!! We had a lovely weekend here in middle Ga. Got a lot of yard work done. Still have a lot more. Everyone have a great day / week!
You too! Today should be good. Tomorrow, another Polar Vortex will be upon us in the midwest. Hope it doesn't make it to the east coast, but it might. :(
By the way, I was at Tractor Supply, checking to see what they had in the way of seed (they only have oats and corn and scratch) and I picked up a small
jar of Poultry Booster. It looks just like what you showed in your pics, but says "Poultry". They do have Rooster Booster, but it is in a liquid form. Could
you please give me an idea of how much of the powder to use in a batch (I use three cups of food and probably five cups of water)? The only instructions on the jar refer to using in chickens' water: it says one third teaspoon per gallon of water. If you have any advice, I would appreciate it. Thank you. (I would bet that it would only take a pinch, for a half gallon jar.

I could just add it to their water, but I bought it specifically because I wanted to use it for fermenting since it has the good bacteria. For their water, I just picked up a bottle of unpasteurized ACV and will add a tablespoon of that to their plastic water bowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom