Growing fodder for chickens

I meant to say presoak. The napkin in top keeps it wet and under pressure speeding up the process. I get a 50# bag of wheat for $11 locally. I'm using an old metal shoe rack with three tiers and ten using a strong plastic bag at the bottom, zip tied to the corners to catch the water. I poke a hole in the middle of te plastic so the water doesn't go all over the place. I recycle the water until it looks yucky and use fresh water every few days.

I soak the seeds in filtered water in a mason jar. For the first rinse I spray with a food grade hydrogen peroxide/water solution and let them drain. At the next rinse I start rinsing with filtered water. I do all of my sprouts this way, and have not had any issues with mold.

Deb Casey
Edgewood, NM

Laura Nickerson wrote"
"I'm sure it's been covered already many times in this thread, but what is everyone doing to prevent mold? I tired rising with a diluted mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, but it didn't seem to help much."

You too!  Today should be good. Tomorrow, another Polar Vortex will be upon us in the midwest.  Hope it doesn't make it to the east coast, but it might. :(
By the way,  I was at Tractor Supply, checking to see what they had in the way of seed (they only have oats and corn and scratch) and I picked up a small 
jar of Poultry Booster.  It looks just like what you showed in your pics, but says "Poultry".  They do have Rooster Booster, but it is in a liquid form.   Could
you please give me an idea of how much of the powder to use in a batch (I use three cups of food and probably five cups of water)?  The only instructions on the jar refer to using in chickens' water:  it says one third teaspoon per gallon of water.   If you have any advice, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.  (I would bet that it would only take a pinch, for a half gallon jar.

I could just add it to their water, but I bought it specifically because I wanted to use it for fermenting since it has the good bacteria.  For their water, I just picked up a bottle of unpasteurized ACV and will add a tablespoon of that to their plastic water bowl. 
[/quote
I double the mixture of what it says . I want to make sure the product soaks into the feed. I believe in it. I know it helps their egg production. I even give the rooster booster to my new hatched chicks as directed for gallon mixture. They seem to be more vigorous!
I also use unpasteurized acv in water about once a month. My wife found some Braggs on sale for 1.00 a bottle and got me one. I told her when she goes back get all they had. Of course only one bottle left .
I have not added the rooster to water only in feed. I thought about it, but they love the fermented feed so well I just give it to them that way .

Quote: Thank you for your imput. Another reason I didn't want to add the powder to their water is because so much of it would be wasted. If I used a smaller drip-type waterer, I could try it. But I throw their water out and change it so often, they would never get much of the booster, that way. I am going for it with the food though. GREAT price on the acv. No wonder it was the last bottle. I paid more for a quart than they charge for a gallon of regular vinegar. I haven't seen the Braggs brand. I'll look that up and see who stocks it around here.

Last edited:
Thank you for your imput.  Another reason I didn't want to add the powder to their water is because so much of it would be wasted.  If I used a smaller drip-type waterer, I could try it.  But I throw their water out and change it so often, they would never get much of the booster, that way.  I am going for it with the food though.  GREAT price on the acv.  No wonder it was the last bottle. I paid more for a quart than they charge for a gallon of regular vinegar. I haven't seen the Braggs brand.  I'll look that up and see who stocks it around here.

You have to get a nipple watering system. I bought some screw in nipples from amazon. Really cheap and worth it. I took a 5gallon bucket drilled appropriate size holes about 4 per bucket.( I tried 8 way to many) remade with 4) screwed nipples on with a dab of silicone around it to insure it doesn't leak . Made a bracket out of 2x4 to set it on . I had my nipple watering buckets made. You can even screw the nipples apart to clean the pieces if they start leaking and put back together. I love them ! No more cleaning and changing the water daily, because of chickens dirtying it up. I usually once a week clean them out and put fresh in.

Thank you for your imput. Another reason I didn't want to add the powder to their water is because so much of it would be wasted. If I used a smaller drip-type waterer, I could try it. But I throw their water out and change it so often, they would never get much of the booster, that way. I am going for it with the food though. GREAT price on the acv. No wonder it was the last bottle. I paid more for a quart than they charge for a gallon of regular vinegar. I haven't seen the Braggs brand. I'll look that up and see who stocks it around here.
I ONLY put the Braggs in the water. They love it and it is not wasted. I like to leave them as natural as possible with their feed. And that means not adding stuff to it. They get rolled oats and bird seed mixed, and any greens/veggies I can russle up. I have a full feeder with their crumbles at all times, and fresh water. I have one of those stainless steel waterers and only fill it half way in the winter, with warmish water & 1 or 2 tablespoons of Braggs. Ours girls love it and scream at me as I fill it. Lol.. Like they're saying hurry! Most of the winter we've gotten anywhere from 2-5 eggs a day from 6 hens. Got 4 yesterday. Two of those were layed in the afternoon. They were still warm.

Here's the waterer I have. It's made in he U.S. so I like that part too. TSC has some like it but made in china. NOPE!
http://www.ruralking.com/agricultur...ouble-wall-poultry-chicken-fountain-9833.html

So, take care of them and you'll get some good eggs. Oh, they have a palace of a coop. Solid and warm, without any artif. heat. We do the deep litter method. When the weather turns warm all the time, we'll be taking it all out and putting in fresh.

Last edited:
Quote: That's my plan: using ACV in the water. Cost-wise, ACV will go a long way, if I only use a TBS per bowl. As cold as it's been, the water can freeze up in half and hour or less. The bowl in the coop usually doesn't freeze, but it still has to be dumped a lot. I have other plans for the Poultry Booster. Directions on the booster call for one third tsp per one gallon water. I use 64 ounce bowls and have to dump them once or twice a day, so it would be a waste of vitamins to use it in water, in my case.

I checked the link that you posted. That is galvanized metal. Other members, please tell me if I am wrong, but I read that one should never use ACV in those because the acid reacts to the galvanized metal, corrodes it and releases toxins. You can research that. If I use ACV in the water, I would use plastic or glass containers. It will be nice when I get some containers made that can hold up to winter. The cheap ones made for chickens just don't (plastic ones with the bottom tray). I got some BPA-free bowls that, when the water freezes, the chunks slide right out of. Pretty cool---I could build the girls an igloo. I have a metal waterer, but don't have a heater to put under it, this year. NEXT year, I will be ready.

Last edited:
If you use tinfoil pans then you could heat them in the oven. I use bleach but if youre a purist and use plastic then boiling water or steam them. If you wash them and the tray feels slippery that is bacteria If you rinse 3-4 times a day it usually takes care of the problem.
I just picked up some wild bird seed at Walmart. I am going to experiment. It is a little pricey 8.00 for 20 lbs but has anyone experimented with this? I want to mix this with barley if it works. Let me know if you have experimented and your experiences. Thanks

That's my plan: using ACV in the water. I have other plans for the Poultry Booster. Directions on the bottle call for one third tsp per one gallon water. I use 64 ounce bowls and have to dump them once or twice a day, so it would be a waste of vitamins to use it in those containers. Cost-wise, ACV will go a long way, if I only use a TBS per bowl. As cold as it's been, the water can freeze up in half and hour or less. The bowl in the coop usually doesn't freeze, but it still has to be dumped a lot.

I checked the link that you posted. That is galvanized metal. Other members, please tell me if I am wrong, but I read that one should never use ACV in those because the acid reacts to the galvanized metal, corrodes it and releases toxins. You can research that. If I use ACV in the water, I would use plastic or glass containers. It will be nice when I get some containers made that can hold up to winter. The cheap ones made for chickens just don't (plastic ones with the bottom tray). I got some BPA-free bowls that, when the water freezes, the chunks slide right out of. Pretty cool. I have a metal waterer, but don't have a heater to put under it, this year. NEXT year, I will be ready.

I don't put ACV in everytime I change the water. And a little is not going to do that too quickly. That's one reason I don't use the ACV all the time. It cleans up nicer and less bacteria than a plastic. We do have a 40 watt bulb under the waterer and it helps through most temps. It's all on a cinder block.

I agree, I have read there is a risk of leaching with ACV an galvanized metal.

I stop in at the Job Lot store from time to time, and pick up stainless steel containers and use those. I have also used plastic, but really like the way stainless cleans up.

Back
Top Bottom