Growing fodder for chickens

We can't do wheat or barley we are a family with gluten issues and my grandson has celiac disease.
That's why I was looking for the kind of oats to sprout.
Thank you for posting I should have mentioned why I am looking at oats to make into fodder.

What kind of barley do I need. I got this from a feed store in Jacksonville Florida.
Whole Barley :)
See if AzureStandard.com delivers to your area. Theirs works best for me. Listed on their site under Animal feed.

Last edited:
After getting about 20 pages into this 300+ page thread I decided to make my own post and just ask my questions this way instead of trying to search for my answer. :)

I have celiac disease which means I cannot come into any contact with wheat, rye, barely, or oats and all I seem to be reading about is people using barely or wheat for their fodder.

My question is has anyone had success using a different type of seed for their fodder? I really am interested in doing this, it's just I don't want to invest in a set up if there isn't a seed I can use.

Thank you!

I've been trying to get into growing fodder for all my animals, but I'm having a REALLY hard time finding things to sprout. I have some oats that sprout ok, but not great. And they are super expensive. I really want to go to 100% fodder diet for all my animals but at the high price of grains to sprout on top of the watering it's just not working!

I have a dozen grown rabbits, and up to 3 dozen kits at a time, a dozen chickens, anywhere from 6 to 36 baby chicks at a time, 2 ducks, and 2 geese.
We also want to add a pair of milk goats or a mini jersey.

I'm hoping that there is someone on here in Southern Arizona (I'm in Tucson) that can help me find a place to get sprouting grains. Is there anyone who has a lead on good priced grains that sprout ok in the extreme heat?
Local would be ideal, but I can travel to the valley or down to Rio Rico if I can just find something!

Back
Top Bottom