Growing fodder for chickens

I have used 3 different brands. Whatever is on sale. This last bag was from Walmart. Others were from the hardware store.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi
We've had chickens for 4 years, although we enjoy the fresh eggs and meat it's always a break-even to expensive venture using commercial feed. This year we have bought a ton of wheat from the farmer across the road and have started to grow fodder, as well as using some permaculture methods. At this time we have 55 layers (25 1-2 year olds and 30 pullets just starting to lay), 60 meats and 10 turkeys.

We have no problems growing the fodder, we are using wheat with a cup of black oil sunflower, but our older girls have stopped laying. They are approximately 3.5 to 5 lbs. various breeds. Vents are clean, no lice. Their craws are full, good fresh water supply. We are using a poultry net/electric fence area so the have lots of space and they are otherwise quite healthy. We have seen them cycle before, but not all of them stop laying at once.

We thought we were over feeding them, but when they see use coming they act like they are starving. So we gave them more, now they are not laying. We've cut back with no change. We also give them the kitchen compost. We have added grit and oyster shell sporadically.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Thanks

HI,
I am not an expert at all in fact my chicks are to young for eggs.
However, mom has chickens and has had for years. Every time there is an extreme heat spell the chickens will take a few days to a week off of laying because of the heat.
After that they go to a few laying to all laying.
I hope the problem is something as simple as this. Don't know if it helps at all but a suggestion.

If too much of the grain has sprouted they may be protein deficient just feeding fodder. Try adding some dry grain or just soaked grain or fermented grain.

Remember some people think they magically turned 1 lb of grain into 8 pounds of feed but you know that is not possible, you have 7 lbs of water in the fodder that is all.

So make sure they get some hi protein feed or grain too. Or add some fish meal and vitamin mineral mix to the fodder also when you feed it. I add Fetrells premium to my fermented whole grains and fodder when I fed a lot of it. Not I just give Fodder to pullets or hens I am not letting out to pasture or a little as a treat to the others. But they all get fermented grains and some dry feed or pellets with vitamins and probiotics already mixed in.

I also add Lime and other minerals to my grass pasture where they eat so they get more minerals. But protein is the key to egg laying. and fodder converts some protein to cellulose and carbs.

If too much of the grain has sprouted they may be protein deficient just feeding fodder. Try adding some dry grain or just soaked grain or fermented grain.

Remember some people think they magically turned 1 lb of grain into 8 pounds of feed but you know that is not possible, you have 7 lbs of water in the fodder that is all.

So make sure they get some hi protein feed or grain too. Or add some fish meal and vitamin mineral mix to the fodder also when you feed it. I add Fetrells premium to my fermented whole grains and fodder when I fed a lot of it. Not I just give Fodder to pullets or hens I am not letting out to pasture or a little as a treat to the others. But they all get fermented grains and some dry feed or pellets with vitamins and probiotics already mixed in.

I also add Lime and other minerals to my grass pasture where they eat so they get more minerals. But protein is the key to egg laying. and fodder converts some protein to cellulose and carbs.
Hmmmm...maybe they are not get enough protein and minerals.
Do you mean Fertrells Poultry Nutri-Balancer? That sounds good but it looks like we can't get it in Canada
Is there a similar product?

I'm new to Fodder maybe i'm doing this wrong....

if you want/need to increase the protein in your sprouts, then sprout some legumes. Alfalfa, peas, lupins and lentils all sprout well and will provide a protein boost.

Very good advice Don P,
welcome-byc.gif
I ferment my feed and grains and also add azomite. A good variety is best. Sprouted , fodder, fermented. All good.

Hmmmm...maybe they are not get enough protein and minerals.
Do you mean Fertrells Poultry Nutri-Balancer? That sounds good but it looks like we can't get it in Canada
Is there a similar product?

I'm new to Fodder maybe i'm doing this wrong....
welcome-byc.gif
Hi Elizabethan, Yeah, I'm in Louisiana and can't get it either. Google Azomite minerals. Look into fermented feeds. It's best of everything.

I add azomite volcanic rock dust and glacial rock dust and Jersey Green Sand, Lime and other minerals to my vegetable garden and my pasture where the hens eat grass, but it won't get absorbed into the fermented grain, but it may be stuck to the edges of the grain when you feed it so the Hens get some that way.
I prefer to sprinkle Fetrells on after fermenting right when I am feeding it so I know it sticks to the feed and they get some.

I doubt it will do much for Fodder either, but it might. I have thought about how much mineral could get used in sprouts but what I have studied is that sprouts don't feed or suck up nutrients during sprouting, they just use the nutrients from the seed to grow the baby root and sprout, but perhaps by a few inches of Fodder height they might suck up some minerals in the water. It certainly can't hurt to add nutrients to the water the last few days of fodder, just dump your water out on your garden so you don't waste the minerals that are not used.

Of course these don't have vitamins in them but are a great ideas for more minerals.

And great idea from Tillyita who says spend more and get Lentils and alfalfa to sprout or fodder for more protein. I sprout and fodder peas, but not Lentils because of the cost here.

But I am sure they have to have some source of vitamin mineral additive for feed in Canada. Call a mill in Canada to see what they use. I can't believe Canada restricts vitamins for people and Animals too??

Or buy some vitamin capsules for people at the store and dump it out on your fodder or Fermented feed right when you go to feed it like I do, or you can add it to the Fermenting water and try that, but I would be sure there is some sprinkled on too, to be sure they are getting some.

Back
Top Bottom