Growing fodder for chickens

That would be fodder grains and seeds

You can do both. I ferment 1 scoops of gamebird feed, 2 scoops of layer feed and 1 scoop cracked corn. Usually if I don't have gamebird I just use layer feed or grower and about 1/2 scoop BOSS to the cracked corn. What I have on hand. The chickens seem to prefer the 4 day sprouts and I have bought some mesh paint strainers to try to sprout like Kassaundra.

yes very nice set up, my chickens weren't so thrilled with the sodder at first but they did get more accustom to it after a month or so. Keep trying they will eventually eat it. I have never had any mold problems so never used bleach or vinegar but maybe it is more humid where you are. It won't matter which type of vinegar but don't use too much or it may leave taste and your chickens won't eat it.

Okay, I am having a slight problem with my sprouting, tho it's not the sprouting itself. I seem to have a small group - a dozen or less - fruit flies flying around in my bathroom where I keep my sprouting trays. In the bathroom?? I know it sounds weird, but we have a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub that has two steps to get into it. The trays actually fit on the steps...Anyhow, does anyone else have fruitflies where they grow their fodder? Don't know how they got started, and have no real idea how to get rid of them.

Any thoughts on this?

Okay, I am having a slight problem with my sprouting, tho it's not the sprouting itself. I seem to have a small group - a dozen or less - fruit flies flying around in my bathroom where I keep my sprouting trays. In the bathroom?? I know it sounds weird, but we have a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub that has two steps to get into it. The trays actually fit on the steps...Anyhow, does anyone else have fruitflies where they grow their fodder? Don't know how they got started, and have no real idea how to get rid of them.

Any thoughts on this?
Sorry to say, fruit flies happen when growing fodder. We have them too. Not much you can do about it.

I tried the wild bird feed for fodder and it started to smell like crap after a couple of days so I gave up on that and am now using barley, after about 3 days I got the same smell but not as bad but even changing the water in the tank it will still stink in a day or two. Does anyone have any ideas why it smells so bad.

The wild bird seed was so bad I couldn't stand it and threw everything out. the barley at its worst in not nearly as bad as the bird seed.

Russell
Unless it's starting to ferment, there should be no smell. Sometimes, you get a batch of grain that doesn't sprout as it should and the whole thing just ferments. That happened to us recently. We ended up throwing most of the whole 50 pounds of Barley around the property for the wild life and bought a new bag. The new bag of Barley is growing nicely. Sometimes not watering thoroughly will eventually cause the grain to smell. Good rule of thumb is to run water on the grains for at least 1 minute.

Thanks, Catryna. I'm not really bothered by the little guys, as long as they don't increase greatly in number. Weird thing, tho is that I've only noticed this in the past few weeks, and I've been sprouting for months. Wonder if summer weather makes them more prolific??

Thanks, Catryna. I'm not really bothered by the little guys, as long as they don't increase greatly in number. Weird thing, tho is that I've only noticed this in the past few weeks, and I've been sprouting for months. Wonder if summer weather makes them more prolific??
Weather has a lot to do with it and especially if you grow fodder inside. We do right now, but intend to establish a set up outside, soon. I have noticed those little buggers around my Kombucha crocks, as well.

We are having high 90 to 100+ temps...I am having mildew and smelly stinky issues. I am wondering if more frequent rinsing would help? I started 3 months ago and everything was good. I am set up outside in the shade. Inside is not an option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom