Growing fodder for chickens

The sprouting stage is as far as the grain can go without being planted in the ground. Beyond that point the fodder will die, because it is no longer getting any nutrients for growth, unless you were to add some kind of nutrient that is used by those involved in Hydroponics.

Fodder as it relates to what most people are referring to in this thread is really 7-9 day plants, that have green growth on them usually about 6 ish inches tall. With enough rinsing completely doable w/o adding nutrients and just a rudimentary "hydroponics" of pouring water over a tray w/ holes in the bottom several times a day.

I have been reading up on growing fodder and sprouting the grain, and I've decided to go with sprouting. It seems easier and needs less equipment. Maybe when I have more experience and a higher comfort level, I will try some fodder. Having said that as an introduction, I started a "thread" in my town about where to buy wheat seed. After several stops, I was directed to a grain company and was graciously given about five or seven pounds of wheat. I asked him about barley, and he said he had it once and never again. However, he knew of someone who used it by the truckload and sent me over, not much more than a mile away. The truck was unloading as I pulled in. He gave me more than ten pounds, all of which should sprout a lot of sprouts for my four hens this winter. I consider myself very fortunate.

BTW, I have four Red Sex Links, two of whom have been laying almost two weeks. The third should follow soon, but the fourth one probably will be a late bloomer.

I have been reading up on growing fodder and sprouting the grain, and I've decided to go with sprouting. It seems easier and needs less equipment. Maybe when I have more experience and a higher comfort level, I will try some fodder. Having said that as an introduction, I started a "thread" in my town about where to buy wheat seed. After several stops, I was directed to a grain company and was graciously given about five or seven pounds of wheat. I asked him about barley, and he said he had it once and never again. However, he knew of someone who used it by the truckload and sent me over, not much more than a mile away. The truck was unloading as I pulled in. He gave me more than ten pounds, all of which should sprout a lot of sprouts for my four hens this winter. I consider myself very fortunate.

BTW, I have four Red Sex Links, two of whom have been laying almost two weeks. The third should follow soon, but the fourth one probably will be a late bloomer.

If you use a small sprouting bag it will give them something to do during the winter picking all the sprouts off the bag. I just put a short pole in the ground and invert the bag over the pole, they have a great time pecking it off.

If you use a small sprouting bag it will give them something to do during the winter picking all the sprouts off the bag. I just put a short pole in the ground and invert the bag over the pole, they have a great time pecking it off.

It looks like burlap. Can you tell me how you sprout the sprouts? I like the idea!

Here is a video I made, since making this I have used thrift store pillow cases, old socks, and the cheap multi pack of washcloths sold at wally world sewn together to make a sack.

Here is a video I made, since making this I have used thrift store pillow cases, old socks, and the cheap multi pack of washcloths sold at wally world sewn together to make a sack.

Love watching your video. I bought 25 lbs of wheat that I'm going to do like this. I bought paint strainer bags. (5 gallon) We'll see if it works as well. If not I'm gonna go to goodwill and buy some pillow cases.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom