Growing fodder for chickens

Hopefully all the experienced fodderers can help...

I'm getting started with fodder. I'll be using wheat. Has anyone had trouble sprouting non-organic wheat (vs. organically grown wheat)?

I'm worried about if my wheat is genetically engineered, it might carry the suicide gene or something that prevents it from sprouting -- buying organic is a guarantee that the wheat hasn't been genetically modified/engineered, but it's also more expensive. I'd prefer to buy non-organic if it sprouts fine.

Thanks for the tips!

I get my wheat in the 50 lb brown paper bags straight from the feed store, the cheap stuff $10 or so a bag, it has always sprouted for me.

You may be soaking it too long, or your temp may be off. Try soaking it for just an hour or two, then rinsing 3 x / day. Kassaundra is having good luck putting a drop of liquid Dawn in the first rinse water, or soak water... i forget which.

I think that most GMO is to make it "round up" tolerant.

The soak water, I don't rinse after the first rinse.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I did find earlier today that wheat (and barley) are not yet genetically engineered in the U.S. Although some of Monsanto's genetically engineered test wheat has sprouted up "randomly" in Oregon and recently Montana. Thank you for sharing your resource, too!

As far as the term GMO goes, I think most people now use it to describe genetically engineered seeds where the gene of another plant or bacteria or animal is blasted into the mix. Cross breeding and creating hybrid plants does not fall into this category for me, so I understand the difference.

I ended up getting plain old barley after talking with the guy at the feed store. They said they heat the grain, but assured me it will still sprout. We shall see! I figure it's worth the $10 to find out if I can keep buying it this cheap in the future.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I did find earlier today that wheat (and barley) are not yet genetically engineered in the U.S. Although some of Monsanto's genetically engineered test wheat has sprouted up "randomly" in Oregon and recently Montana. Thank you for sharing your resource, too!

As far as the term GMO goes, I think most people now use it to describe genetically engineered seeds where the gene of another plant or bacteria or animal is blasted into the mix. Cross breeding and creating hybrid plants does not fall into this category for me, so I understand the difference.

I ended up getting plain old barley after talking with the guy at the feed store. They said they heat the grain, but assured me it will still sprout. We shall see! I figure it's worth the $10 to find out if I can keep buying it this cheap in the future.

If it doesn't sprout (b/c of the heat) you can always ferment it, they will love that too.

Yeah, people mean LGMO these days when they say GMO (L meaning Lab), or so I think. It's just like most people use the word "chemicals" to mean "bad chemicals." Water is a chemical, after all (and it can kill you).

I like the term GE for "genetically engineered." You see it on various sites. But GMO as popularly used is probably going to be the dominant term/usage.

I'm not aware of GE or LGMO wheat, but there's a lot of corn and soy that is. I just found out most Hawaiian papaya is GE/LGMO. It's coming....

The soak water, I don't rinse after the first rinse.
Okay, I made the first experiment with a cloth tote bag. It still worked good but for some reason I thought that you had to pour water inside the bag daily. That's not right? I still have the 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think I'll try them next. Dawn in soak water. How long do you soak?
big_smile.png

Okay, I made the first experiment with a cloth tote bag. It still worked good but for some reason I thought that you had to pour water inside the bag daily. That's not right? I still have the 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think I'll try them next. Dawn in soak water. How long do you soak?
big_smile.png

12 - 24 hours, whenever I think about it.

I hope this thread isn't too old to get a response. Did you notice a change in the flavor of your goats' milk when you began feeding them fodder? I've been thinking of getting one of the tabletop system from FodderTech (http://foddertech.com), but your system is really clever!

I hope this thread isn't too old to get a response. Did you notice a change in the flavor of your goats' milk when you began feeding them fodder? I've been thinking of getting one of the tabletop system from FodderTech (http://foddertech.com), but your system is really clever!

Hey Andy
welcome-byc.gif
It shouldn't change a thing, maybe even taste better. It's just grains that are sprouted. Don't invest a lot of money yet, just start small with a couple of dishpans with holes in sides and bottom. It will let you know if you like it and want to continue. Good luck. Read up and research. Best way to do it. Linda

Back
Top Bottom