Growing fodder for chickens

FYI: I purchase Kale at the grocery store for 99 cents and put it in those wire bird baskets. It is enough for two or three days. I know, my girls are spoiled.

How much fodder can you feed you chooks? Is there such thing as too much greens for them?
Does anyone know a ratio of dry pellets to greens to other foods?
We feed them all they will eat and that is wheat fodder (sprouts) as well as other sprouted seeds, beans, etc

I feed my girls as much as they can eat as well as fruits and veggies cut up small for them. They jump when they know I have something for them. I grow fodder of wheat, black oil sunflower seeds, barley they love it. Winter they need these things.

I use wheat barley boss to make fodder for horses but the chickens get the seed that did not sprout and a little fodder I pour a little act on top of the horses fodder and the chickens sprouts they all love it I use a tray system that drains into 5 trays angled front to back and use a pump to water twice a day all excess water drains in a catch tub on bottom that I drain twice a week in summer I pump onto pasture winter has to go down drain I also feed ff twice a day to chickens 50% crumbles 10% boss 10% scratch 15 wheat 15% barley they never leave any no waste is great

I bought wheat and oat sides in 1 lb packages online to try my hand at growing fodder for my "girls" and it turned out great. Unfortunately, I cannot find a place locally that sells seeds in bulk so I can do it on a continuing basis. I live in the high desert of So. California. Anyone out there know where I can buy bulk seeds for wheat, oats or barley that I don't have to have shipped? I am willing to drive approx. 75 miles to pick it up.

I run a 10 tray system give one a day and occasionally two trays plus nor m all feed 21 hens and two rooster and am getting 12 to 18 eggs a day in central pa they love the fresh grass oats and wheat

I bought wheat and oat sides in 1 lb packages online to try my hand at growing fodder for my "girls" and it turned out great. Unfortunately, I cannot find a place locally that sells seeds in bulk so I can do it on a continuing basis. I live in the high desert of So. California. Anyone out there know where I can buy bulk seeds for wheat, oats or barley that I don't have to have shipped? I am willing to drive approx. 75 miles to pick it up.
http://www.groworganic.com/
Not sure if they are close to you or not.

How much are you all feeding your poultry-do you go by % of weight? I'm feeding my 15 birds a 4-5# mat in the morning and supplementing with layer in the evening. They act famished when I feed them . They all look good. My ducks will overeat-I've never been able to leave food in front of them. So what combinations are you all feeding and how much? Anyone doing totally fodder?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom