Growing fodder for chickens

Yes I do understand and I agree. That is what I said in the last post. But soaked and slightly sprouted grains are as good as fodder that way.
And that is why you can feed less soaked grain than dry. Or have lots of grit and water close by the feed, which I do also.

And that is why I soak or sprout my whole grains. And I feed some dry cracked grain feed so they have access to it all day and I also ferment it sometimes which is even better. But it can't sit out free choice all day. So fermented has drawbacks too.

But grain has a certain amount of nutrient in it and you can't get more of it than what you started with.

And as some people think, you do not magically add water for a week and get 5 x more feed. you may be able to feed less than dry but not 5-6 x less.

And they need a certain amount of protein to be healthy.
I picked up a few hens from a lady who was moving and she had been feeding pellets and they had picked their feathers and were so weak they could not even jump up to my roost tree branch in my quarantine pen. I had to put a ladder in so they could climb up.

I put them on my feed and haven't let them out to pasture yet as I clean them up. But they are getting stronger and looking better in a few days. Amazing. I added soaked grains to the dry feed and put kelp meal and yeast and extra vitamins and minerals and extra probiotics on the wet feed as well as garlic, cayenne and ginger to clear any internal pathogens. I will add some Boss and flax eventually and Pumpkin seeds cracked.

I am growing some fodder for them from the soaking grains since they don't get to pasture, just so they get some greens.

Right, but fodder is not just grass, the seeds and sprouts are there too which is most of the nutrition they get. The grass is just a little bonus of chlorophyll and some enzymes.

Last edited:
Yes but the corn would have to grow for more than 3-7 days. Then the plant stops feeding solely from the seed and pulls nutrients out of the soil etc. I hope you can see the difference?
Any biology book will tell you just as the chick grows in the egg or a fish lives on its egg sack feeding entirely on those nutrients for a while, so do sprouts feed only from the seed until they grow developed roots that can get nutrients from the soil. I thought everyone knew this.

As I said, dry the fodder and weight it and you will see it has not gained weight except for water. Don't fool yourself or your hens, they are deprived and may still produce eggs but may not live as long, produce eggs as long or be as healthy. If you get rid of your hens every 2-3 years you may not care.

I have people who switch to my organic non-GMO grain feed from other feeds and have 10 year old hens start laying 2-3 x week.

Yes fodder is fine to feed all animals that eat grass and seeds or grain. No problem.
But what does it prove that other people do it? Loads of people take Chemo but that doesn't mean it will cure cancer. It doesn't. But you are welcome to do it because other people do, instead of a natural solution that is safe and works.

I love live food, I am all for live food and as I said, I use fodder also, but the seeds in it are their main nutrients and protein they get from it.

I at least soak my whole grains and seeds overnight or I sprout them before feeding because it is easier to digest.
Just soaking the grains for 2-3 days you will find you will feed less than dry grain because it is easier to digest. That is why it is vital to add grit to dry real grain feed.
No need with pellets because it is vacuumed up dust from the grain mill already.

But letting the soaked seeds go to grass does not increase their protein or amount of nutrition, it reduces the protein.
But they get some chlorophyll if you let it get green, and that is nice especially if they don't get pasture.

In the winter for sure, when they may not get worms or insects and all year I would add some other high protein to compensate for sprouting and I would not just feed one grain only. Even adding a few BOOS seeds is not enough. they will benefit from a blend and higher protein.

I also ferment my feed some of the time for the benefits of enzymes they get and the lactic culture and easier digestion.

I have friend who is a science teacher and every year he has his class do an experiment on chicks and they feed different groups different levels of protein and measure and weight them weekly. It is quite obvious the stunted growth in the ones on less than ideal protein and you can see where more protein has no added benefit over 22%.

I have been raising my own chickens for over 20 years and am a natural physician and studied with vets and physicians all over the world. You still can't get something from nothing. 1 lb of feed yields 1 lb of feed and fodder just converts some of the protein in the 1 lb to carbs and increases water content. There is no magic to growing plants.
Well said. I agree that feeding fodder "only" would be a bad idea. My chickens also get non GMO or (no corn/no soy) feed, along with many different seeds. Some of our hens are 2.5 years old and are still laying 4 or 5 eggs per week. Our younger ones lay 6 eggs a week. I also ferment, which as you probably know from your own experience, the chickens go crazy over. And, canned mackerel mixed up with crushed egg shells and bone meal. And, of course, meal worms.
smile.png

Yes I do understand and I agree. That is what I said in the last post. But soaked and slightly sprouted grains are as good as fodder that way.

And that is why you can feed less soaked grain than dry. Or have lots of grit and water close by the feed, which I do also.

And that is why I soak or sprout my whole grains. And I feed some dry cracked grain feed so they have access to it all day and I also ferment it sometimes which is even better.  But it can't sit out free choice all day. So fermented has drawbacks too.

But grain has a certain amount of nutrient in it and you can't get more of it than what you started with.

And as some people think, you do not magically add water for a week and get 5 x more feed. you may be able to feed less than dry but not 5-6 x less.

And they need a certain amount of protein to be healthy. 

I picked up a few hens from a lady who was moving and she had been feeding pellets and they had picked their feathers and were so weak they could not even jump up to my roost tree branch in my quarantine pen. I had to put a ladder in so they could climb up.

I put them on my feed and haven't let them out to pasture yet as I clean them up.  But they are getting stronger and looking better in a few days. Amazing. I added soaked grains to the dry feed and put kelp meal and yeast and extra vitamins and minerals and extra probiotics on the wet feed as well as garlic, cayenne and ginger to clear any internal pathogens.  I will add some Boss and flax eventually and Pumpkin seeds cracked.

I am growing some fodder for them from the soaking grains since they don't get to pasture, just so they get some greens. 

What kind of vitamins and minerals do you feed them? And how much garlic and cayenne and ginger is a good amount for healthy hens? I'm just trying to learn.
1f603.png

I don't think anyone can know what is the "right" or best amount for any individual person or animal.

But many people use a Tblsp in a couple pounds of feed. I use less I put that in 5 lbs of feed along with the same in garlic and Ginger as a preventative.

So if you have a problem the stronger amount would be good.

I add some Fertells's Premium Layer mix with the probiotics too. But the Kelp meal which is a plant is easier to digest and get minerals from. So I like plan sources and animal like Crustacean meal which is powdered shrimp and crab shells, thinner and easier to digest than oyster shell or limestone.

I am glad to read that. I started my first lot of seeds four days ago and haven't been able to wait until they had green shoots to start feeding them to my hens. I started another lot today so hopefully I will be able to show a bit more restraint with that lot. : )
It will be interesting to see how well this works for me as I live in a sub-tropical climate which may be too hot and humid to work in summer.

yes it has been in the 80s - 90s here since June and I haven't gotten anything to fodder, finally brought some back in the house still too hot.
My Lentils did sprout real well, but not the Triticale, barely sprouts. I will be doing some more barley again soon. So i will start fermenting again. I took a break from the hassle.

Don,
Wondering if you would please share what you feed your chickens? I am just starting out and have spent hours reading different feed formulas and trying to find information. I am horrified that some organic feeds have the first ingredient of wheat middlings! By products from flour. I am happy to make my own food but not sure if it would be balanced.

I would appreciate any advice as I am a first time chicken owner. I like the idea of sprouts or fodder as a supplement, especially since my young birds no not free range yet. They do go out in a dog xpen which I move around. My fence is not 6' everywhere, so when I can learn to clip wings and my hens are getting bigger, hopefully they will stay in the yard and free range and get a better variety of bugs and plants.

I do want my hens to live a long time and know from raising other animals & issues with my own health that food is a critical part of health. Thank you for any suggestions!

I have people who switch to my organic non-GMO grain feed from other feeds and have 10 year old hens start laying 2-3 x week.

Back
Top Bottom