Growing fodder for chickens

IMO, you're better off buying seeds from a health food store. The local HF store sells sprouting seeds which are 3 - 4 times more expensive than the same type of organic seeds sold for cooking. Both sprout equally well. I pay $26/50# of wheat or barley which is intended for animal feed. Still have some left from last year to sprout. HF store sells grains for approx $1/# as I recall.

Definitely agree with this. Usually work just as well, and you aren't charged an arm and a leg.

I've had the most luck with getting whole wheat berries - just got them from the big bin in Whole Foods, great germination rate.

- Ant Farm

I can't find anyone around that sells seeds and my girls are desperate for some green. Every time I go to feed they want to come out to eat the grass. I can't free range so that's out of the question. What can I use that is easy to get
The whole black oil sunflower seeds sold for bird feeders have sprouted well for me. Most feed stores, hardware stores, home improvement places,etc carry them.

This week we got some slushy ice and then snow so I will be getting my fodder going tomorrow.

I want the best for my babies but I do live with a budget. And the chicken math is, well most of us, is getting bigger. They are growing and soon need more feed. I already am fermenting and I really want to give them some green. I did look for seeds but it is all just too expensive.
Specially that my babies are just joggers

Last edited:
I buy field planting seed from my local feed store. Its a 2 way..wheat & barley. $9 for a 50 lb bag.

I can't find anyone around that sells seeds and my girls are desperate for some green. Every time I go to feed they want to come out to eat the grass. I can't free range so that's out of the question. What can I use that is easy to get

Here's my set-up.

I want the best for my babies but I do live with a budget. And the chicken math is, well most of us, is getting bigger. They are growing and soon need more feed. I already am fermenting and I really want to give them some green. I did look for seeds but it is all just too expensive.
Specially that my babies are just joggers
These suggestions look very inexpensive to me! A really good way to stretch your dollars.

I buy field planting seed from my local feed store. Its a 2 way..wheat & barley. $9 for a 50 lb bag.
Here's my set-up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom