Growing fodder for chickens

We have a large population of eagles, fox and coyotes so our chickens cannot free range. Does throwing the sprouts into a chicken run end up making a big mess in the run? It looks from the photos like a lot of roots are left over and they tear everything up when eating the sprouts.
@holm25 is right. I just pull the fodder, roots and all, and set it down into the run. I do this when the wheat grass is no more than 4-5" high (I always worry about their crop digestion and things getting tangled, lol). Within a few days, there is nothing left.

It was suggested to try using vinegar 10:1 solution, so that is what I am doing this time.
Let us know how this works!

Yeah my flock has a tray gone in about 30 minutes. But I have geese ducks and turkeys who eat it and they r little pigs!

So I've been experimenting with smaller amounts of seeds for fodder to make sure I could grow it and my chickens would eat it, etc. All went well. So, I got the 50 lb bag of plotspike forage oats and set it up and it is not sprouting at all. Not a bit. I soaked the first batch I set up for 8 hours and the next for about 15 hours. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

So I've been experimenting with smaller amounts of seeds for fodder to make sure I could grow it and my chickens would eat it, etc. All went well. So, I got the 50 lb bag of plotspike forage oats and set it up and it is not sprouting at all. Not a bit. I soaked the first batch I set up for 8 hours and the next for about 15 hours. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

Did you use oats in your initial trials? Apparently they are one of the most difficult to grow to fodder for some people. I tried them using racehorse oats...it took forever to sprout and two weeks to grow to fodder.

Any suggestions?

Did you use oats in your initial trials? Apparently they are one of the most difficult to grow to fodder for some people. I tried them using racehorse oats...it took forever to sprout and two weeks to grow to fodder.
I've heard the same.

For those with mold issues, I 've found medical grade hydrogen peroxide (3% USP) sprayed directly on the problem area inhibits mold growth. My water is untreated well water and is very 'alive' and I wondered if mold would be a concern for me, but so far so good with a couple of sprays of HP on potential trouble spots.

For those with mold issues, I 've found medical grade hydrogen peroxide (3% USP) sprayed directly on the problem area inhibits mold growth. My water is untreated well water and is very 'alive' and I wondered if mold would be a concern for me, but so far so good with a couple of sprays of HP on potential trouble spots.
So you use it as a spray on the seeds, not as part of the pre soak?

Yeah my flock has a tray gone in about 30 minutes. But I have geese ducks and turkeys who eat it and they r little pigs!
Mine too! One tray feeds all my birds (21 birds - 4 peafowl, 10 ducks, 1 chicken, 1 guinea, 4 turkeys and 1 gander). They love the stuff! :D

I just started with flex it's doing its thing for three days, yet the alfa feels sticky. I water it a lot and still sticky. Not sprouting at all (day 2)
Is it getting any contact with sunlight?

Blessings -

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom