Growing fodder for chickens

A friend of mine experimented with setting up 'trays', made from galvanised metal sheets that are flat, narrow and have raised edges. Set these up angled slightly to allow water flow to go to the bottom 'trays'. Which emptied into a bucket. Watered it manually with a bucket. This was all set up inside an underground cellar. Lack of light doesn't seem to affect them too much. Turkeys, chickens and even a cockatoo love the results. When the lengths of fodder were harvested they were divided accordingly and with the summer heat, placed into shallow trays/containers to help them last a little longer. The chickens make a huge mess of it. The turkeys are 'tidier' and the cockatoo makes a game of tipping his containers over.. Haha. But they are entertained and seem to really like it. The rest of the time the poultry free range and the cockatoo just does his thing with a mix of branches to destroy, foods such as lettuce and Apple, with some nuts and seeds as well.

My chicks are just 3 weeks old tomorrow and they absolutely love this stuff. They have been eating it since before they turned 2 weeks old. I make sure to dice it very small (1/4 inch pieces) and throw out the more fibrous roots. They go for it before anything else.
I have a fleet of tractors for when they get older but my actual coop hasn't got a run and this is a nice way to get the housebound birds some greens.

Does anybody know how much fodder I would need per day for 4 chickens? I am new to having chickens and want to give this a try, but am unsure of the amount my bantams would need to remain healthy during the winter.

Here's what I came up with for a small inexpensive fodder system. I got these baskets from Amazon and drilled drainage holes in the bottoms of them. I'm using wheat because it's what I could find.

Here is a link for the baskets I used. http://amzn.to/1SVGAce

How are those baskets sitting on one another without crushing your growing greenage?

See the dark grey "handles" in the picture? They flip in like that so you can stack baskets.

I am trying out pond planting baskets for my fodder since they are designed to allow water in (and out) but keep soil in, so I figured they would work for seeds. Will post results once I have them.

Here's what I came up with for a small inexpensive fodder system. I got these baskets from Amazon and drilled drainage holes in the bottoms of them. I'm using wheat because it's what I could find.

Here is a link for the baskets I used. http://amzn.to/1SVGAce
Great idea! So you'll soak and set up new seeds every few days so they are at different stages? What size drill bit did you use to drill the holes in the bottom?

See the dark grey "handles" in the picture? They flip in like that so you can stack baskets.

I am trying out pond planting baskets for my fodder since they are designed to allow water in (and out) but keep soil in, so I figured they would work for seeds. Will post results once I have them.

Thank you so much! I see it now!

Just set up a fodder system big enough to supplement my horses' diet! I lined the trays with paper towel to hold the seeds in place until they start to mat. I am going to mist them to avoid ruining the floor underneath. I've been misting my chicken fodder trays and it seems much more effective than watering.
I have a horse who has ruined his front teeth by cribbing and has trouble grazing so fodder may be a much needed boost for him.

Back
Top Bottom