Growing fodder for chickens

Just set up a fodder system big enough to supplement my horses' diet! I lined the trays with paper towel to hold the seeds in place until they start to mat. I am going to mist them to avoid ruining the floor underneath. I've been misting my chicken fodder trays and it seems much more effective than watering. I have a horse who has ruined his front teeth by cribbing and has trouble grazing so fodder may be a much needed boost for him.
Wao I found something just like that. It was used for bread. I have it outside. I put screen on it so my seeds don't fall. So far it's working. I use the top empty to protect from other birds. My only concern is that the fodder roots might get stuck to the screen. I'll post how it works out.

Wao I found something just like that. It was used for bread. I have it outside. I put screen on it so my seeds don't fall. So far it's working. I use the top empty to protect from other birds. My only concern is that the fodder roots might get stuck to the screen. I'll post how it works out.

Well, I am sure that the chickens will love to help you clean your screens if the roots do grow through!

Great idea! So you'll soak and set up new seeds every few days so they are at different stages? What size drill bit did you use to drill the holes in the bottom?

I used size 1/8 drill bit. I have been soaking and starting one new basket every day but I'm contemplating doing it less often. Maybe every other day??

I've been sprouting wheat berry, barley and alfalfa seeds for my hens for two months now. They absolutely love it. I use four round stackable trays that I bought on Amazon and they work great. I have three sets. When the sprouts are 3-4 inches high I put one tray at a time in the coop. Wow it's gone in seconds. It sure has saved on chicken feed since I only buy organic, it can be pricey.

Trying to keep this thread alive. Does anybody know how much dry barley would be good enough to feed 13 chickens for a day

Hi, I use a scant 1 1/2 cups for 3 hens per day. That, and 2Tablespoons of chia, mixed..and they want more! But, they don't hardly touch their feed, so, it is just the right amount, I feel. I would say that 6-7 cups of barley should do it for your flock of 13.
:)

Thank you for the help. I also have one more question. Are barley seeds more expensive than wheat seeds. And from your personal opinion which seed would you go with?

Hi, I am not sure of the price difference between wheat and barley, but, barley has a much better protein profile than wheat and since chickens need at least 16% protein, I went with the barley. Chia, also, has good protein, but, not much volume...I mix the two just because I bought some chia. I am not sure about oats..they may be even better, yet.
:) Happy foddering

Funny stuff. When I read your posts I can't help but giggle. Who knew that 2 ounce acorn I planted as a kid that grew into a 100 foot oak weights 10,000 lbs now but is the same mass and only water plus the 2 ounces. Not sure how the 2 ounces was created originally but I digress.

"I grow fodder but you don't get 6 or 7 pounds of feed from 1 lb as many wrongly claim. You still have 1 lb of feed and 5-6 lbs of water."

"That unscientific article is misleading. 1st of all, you cannot create matter from nothing. If you have a pound of seed you have a pound of matter. There is nothing else to work with. Sunlight eventually triggers photosynthesis but does not add nutrients or mass."

Ok so here is what I was thinking. I read that chickens need to eat a third of their body weight every single day so for 12 chickens that would be 4 pounds of feed. And I also learned that when you sprout folder one pound of seed transforms to six pounds of fodder. So if I sprouted one pound of fodder for my twelve chickens every single day that is all I would have to feed them due to the great amount of nutrients that is in it. (Not including the oyster shells and grit I give them) so a 50lb bag of barley seed will last me 50 days. I would just like to have someone's thoughts on all of this. And if anyone has a similar situation, how much has it cut the cost of feed down?

Back
Top Bottom