Growing fodder for chickens

I've been searching this thread but I can't find any answers.
I'm wondering if growing fodder is a cheap food supplement, our is it just a snack for the chickens. Has anyone figured out the cost compared to feed? Any answers are welcome.
Thanks
Fodder won't make a complete feed, You still need feed.
It can offset some of the feed but then you need higher protein feed or an animal protein source.

Where do you get your poultry wheat for $8/ 50 pound bags. I am just getting started and trying to figure out where to get the seed.

I guess it depends on where you live. I can't find it for less than $11.

Whatever type of seed one uses, it has to be for feed, not for seed.

I try to get my birds out for at least 3 hours a day of foraging, but they still go crazy over the fodder. They have high quality crumbled feed that I grind myself, a puree made from either pumpkin and corn with eggs or lentils and spinach with eggs, plain yogurt a couple times a day, and they always go for the fodder first. It has substantially cut down on my feed bill (my crumble recipe is expenssssiiiiiivvve) and they seem to love it.
I wonder though if chickens have so few taste buds why do they show marked preference for certain foods? Is it a texture thing?

Where do you source your wheat from?
smile.png

I tried to get wheat and barley from the feed store by my house but it is for seed and contains fungicides and pesticides.

We have a feed co-op the I can get any kind of feed grade seed from for fodder but I have to wait till we have enough orders to get a truckload.
I think the place is called AMDC.

Last edited:
I tried to get wheat and barley from the feed store by my house but it is for seed and contains fungicides and pesticides.

We have a feed co-op the I can get any kind of feed grade seed from for fodder but I have to wait till we have enough orders to get a truckload.
I think the place is called AMDC.

Where do you source your wheat from?
smile.png
If you can't get untreated wheat or barley seed from the feed store, then you could consider checking online: Amazon or Ebay.

HINT: For wire shelving and framing, hit the local metal scrap yards and recyclers. :) Cheap! and you can always build a wooden frame to put wire shelving on (that's what I'm doing with mine).

As far as trays go--it was less expensive for me to hit WalMart and buy the Sterilite 16x23x5 or so inch boxes ($4.68 each) than it was to buy planting trays. So far, so good.

For anyone struggling with mold, I have found spraying with hydrogen peroxide and then rinsing with water after about 2 minutes is very effective.

Back
Top Bottom