Growing fodder for chickens

No! You are NOT off-base! Like I said, experiment! Remember...YCMV! and your fodder may vary. Adjust accordingly.

Agree!!!! THat's why, while I understood the frustration of the newbie, I wanted to say that there ISN'T one way! :thumbsup

(E.g., you are in Montana. I am in South Texas. That alone drastically changes our approaches...)

I pretty much did exactly what mobius did. We used an aluminuminum pie pan with a moist paper towel for the first three days. Initially we did the "the-cat-is-misbehaving-again" spray bottle, but that was ineffective, so we changed to the soak-and-drain twice a day. The pie pan sat on the kitchen table where it got indirect sunlight in the afternoon.
Day 1:
barley_01.JPG

T: +48h
barley_02_48h.JPG

T: +84h (3.5d)
barley_03_84h.JPG

T: +108h (4.5d)
barley_04_108h.JPG

T: +120h (5d)
barley_05_120h.JPG

T: +144h (6d)
barley_06_144h.JPG

barley_07_144h.JPG

barley_09.JPG

I pretty much did exactly what mobius did. We used an aluminuminum pie pan with a moist paper towel for the first three days. Initially we did the "the-cat-is-misbehaving-again" spray bottle, but that was ineffective, so we changed to the soak-and-drain twice a day. The pie pan sat on the kitchen table where it got indirect sunlight in the afternoon.
Day 1:
View attachment 1041860
T: +48h
View attachment 1041861

T: +84h (3.5d)
View attachment 1041862

T: +108h (4.5d)
View attachment 1041863

T: +120h (5d)
View attachment 1041864

T: +144h (6d)
View attachment 1041865

View attachment 1041866

View attachment 1041867

Great pics of the process! That looks like mine exactly! It is not that hard and there is a bit of a rhythm to it, I feed my dogs twice a day so that is when I rinse my fodder!

Nice job!

In the interest of spreading my poultry feed budget, I'm growing fodder for my flock during the winter months. So far, for every one pound of seed, I'm getting 6 1/2 pounds of green fodder. They eat the seeds, the roots, and the green shoots. I prefer to use barley, but I haven't been able to get bulk barley this year so I'm growing wheat with a handful of black oil sunflower seeds per flat. Anybody else grow fodder for their birds?

Please tell me how you are doing this.

im gonna try this
Definitely do it, there's not a lot of risk or effort required. I purchased 5 lbs of whole barley seed for about $10 (incl. shipping) from a vendor on eBay. We have a local feed supplier who will sell me a 50 lb bag of barley seed, but I wanted to start a little smaller.

In the morning, I would soak the barley while I was making a pot of coffee. When the coffee was ready, I drained the water off and put the pie plate on the kitchen table. Just put your hand on the seeds and tip the pie plate sideways into the sink. I did a similar routine in the evening while making dinner. We had a teeny bit of mold growth early on ... but that was when we were using the spray bottle (and The Wife was spraying several times a day, unbenownst to me.) Doing the soak-and-drain twice a day seems to be plenty, and once the root mat is established, they'll take-up any residual water left in the pan. Just make sure you drain the bulk of the water out.

Will these grow in a thin layer of soilless medium such as peat moss?

I want to grow these but it seems that you need temperature to be less than 70 to not get mold. I'm growing mealworms in the only area that I could grow these and the worms like it between 75-80.

I figured with peat or coco they could grow while temps are higher and not get mold.

Back
Top Bottom