Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
I have a question. can it be just any wheat grain from walmart cause I cant find the one in a bucket. and is it literally in a bucket???

I have a question. can it be just any wheat grain from walmart cause I cant find the one in a bucket. and is it literally in a bucket???
Yes, it's literally in a bucket. (A nice bucket....I've bought their wheat before and still use the bucket!) It's 26 pounds and packaged by Augason Farms. It has to be whole wheat, not rolled or heat treated, but any wheat that fits that description will work. Maybe your Walmart can order some for you since it's in their system.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but has anyone tried filtering the return water? I live in an area where water is in short supply, this summer they restricted our usage. NO usage other than houshold! We saved a few trees from dying with grey water, and got an exemption for livestock, but the garden was a goner.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if filtering, perhaps even with activated charcoal, could extend the life of the water? Any thoughts?

Also, Pawtraitart, what kind of hair sheep do you have? Just curious.

~S

The water that comes off of ours is so full of starch I cannot reuse it. I use the water for my garden so technically it is being reused just not in our fodder setup. I have heard that people have tried to do an aquaponic system using the water and it failed due to the amount of starch. Now i am sure if you had a complex filtering system you would be able to keep using the water.

Scary about how the government can regulate the water you are using! I am sure it was a difficult summer!

T

We have water stuff like that all the time here... on a low year, the people whose water rights pre-date others start saying they need all their shares and the other people say, but we need some water, too and then sometimes it goes to court, etc, etc... pawtraitart lives in the same water system I do, so I'm sure she hears it all the time... but, that's besides the point... there are heirloom seeds available, the sources listed are good examples... and the seed would end up going a long way, too.. I know I have planted amaranth and the dang stuff is like a weed, one or two seeds fall on the ground in the fall and I have plants in those spots the next summer which grow BIG and have hundreds of seeds a piece, amazing the power of one seed!

Our property has very old water rights, so we get water no problem for our flood irrigation. We have a well for our house water. During drought years, there is always a lot of "water wars" talk. :)

They offer both hard white wheat and red wheat. The one I tried was the cheaper of the two. Red, I think. It is more expensive than poultry wheat, but works extremely well and is less starchy than softer seeds. Yes, a 26 pound bucket.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom