Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
Source for greenhouse trays: Around here, we recycle the pots and flats that plants come in from garden centers, etc. A lot of the garden centers here have a place where you can return the trays, but also the local recycling depot takes them. It might be worth it to check around for some used trays to work with.

Ok question. When you rinse, do you try not to disturb the seeds or should you stir them around gently? i was wondering because some of the seeds underneath are not sprouting much, do they need to be moved around to get the bottom seeds some light too?

Ok question. When you rinse, do you try not to disturb the seeds or should you stir them around gently? i was wondering because some of the seeds underneath are not sprouting much, do they need to be moved around to get the bottom seeds some light too?
Check your seed depth. If it's too thick, the seed on the bottom can be slower to sprout or fail to sprout, especially if they are too wet. Moving them around is perfectly fine.

Check your seed depth. If it's too thick, the seed on the bottom can be slower to sprout or fail to sprout, especially if they are too wet. Moving them around is perfectly fine.
Sloshing them around helps aerate the water, too and makes sure you're giving them a good rinse and getting the starches out, so slosh away!!

I found out the seed we have in bulk ... and boy do we have a LOT of it ... is Rye. I read it is similar to wheat at a site for grass juicing (human food). They recommend a rinse/soak every 8-12 hours to get it to sprout.

Anyone know about rye for fodder?

Back
Top Bottom