Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
I was thinking of the stuff I've got around here to sprout and was thinking about sesame seeds. They usually get ground up in our feed at 2#/cwt, but that's in our chick/starter feed and not the layer feed ... not that layers wouldn't do well with sesame ... it's just that we usually only buy one bag a year and then we humans eat what sesame seeds are left over after all the chicks have reached full size. But we had a lot of sesame left over at the end of summer. Wait. I should save it for the breeding season, shouldn't I? It's in a cool location, so maybe it wouldn't go rancid before February, which is less than 3 months away. I should check dates on that.

Anyway, back to the question: Is anyone sprouting sesame seeds?

Sesame is an oil seed (as black oil sunflower seeds are) and a smidge of extra fat is good for the hens on rather blustery days or downright frigid ones.

Anyone that is sprouting black oil sunflower seeds know if the oils get washed out with the successive rinsings? I can't remember what the literature says about grains and seeds and the fat levels after sprouting. I could look it up again, but maybe someone remembers off the top of their head. Does the growth of the sprout use up and/or change the fat in oil seeds?

Here is a link to a nutritional comparison of Rye to Hulled Barley: http://skipthepie.org/cereal-grains-and-pasta/barley-hulled/compared-to/rye/

Thanks for link. When I formulated our feed some years back, I shied away from rye because it's said that it causes loose droppings and dirty eggs and some ancient study showed that it wasn't so great for chicks. However, sprouting is supposed to alleviate the loose droppings issue that comes with the dry grain. I also couldn't find it in large bags ... and now that I think about it ... maybe that was because so few folks use it for chicken feed. Did you find a large bag of rye? What numbers did you find for inclusion rates on the rye for hens? One study/book I have showed that the most the balanced feed should have is 20% rye grain. And of course, I'd sprout it for my hens, especially if I could get it at a price lower than wheat.

I got mine straight out of the combine. It is what we planted for a cover crop on our farm this fall. I was offered half a ton to play with -- way more than I need!
You lucky dog!

So, really, you could just go out with a pair of scissors and trim a very little off the top for your chickens every couple of days? At least until the snow flies and then in the spring, too. Wow.

Did you find a large bag of rye? What numbers did you find for inclusion rates on the rye for hens? One study/book I have showed that the most the balanced feed should have is 20% rye grain. And of course, I'd sprout it for my hens, especially if I could get it at a price lower than wheat.

Yep. A very large bag. The bag it is in is a large as the station wagon parked next to it ... and that's after half of it has been planted. By "bag" I mean a huge tote made out of roughly the same fabric that people use to make the cute Feed Bag Totes. It is the container it was blown into by the combine ... very "farm fresh."

You lucky dog!

So, really, you could just go out with a pair of scissors and trim a very little off the top for your chickens every couple of days? At least until the snow flies and then in the spring, too. Wow.

I suppose I could ... once things start to sprout/green up around here. And if I weren't so lazy. We had SUCH a long, dry summer ... and plough pretty often ... and the kind of farming we do is the direct opposite of "grass farming." We haven't had pasture here for years. But to hold the soil on the hill when it starts to rain we plant stuff like rye. This rye, I was told, would grow to more than head height if we let it and didn't mow it and plow it back under.

I'm also working on preparing the chickens' pastures so I won't have to grow sprout fodder and can concentrate on figuring out how to do a properly balanced grain feed for them ...

LOL.....I appreciate the thought.Yes, FREE is always a plus! When I time things right, I can get barley to use during the winter at no cost. I like using an inexpensive seed for my base and then add a handful of various other seeds for variety.

That's what I was thinking. Free, and sprouted it is a legitimate chicken food ingredient. I'm pretty sure the guy who grows grain crops on our property has planted barley before, too. Not sure what is planted there now, but you bet I'm going to be asking him. I will also campaign him to grow good chicken food grains ... once I've done my research on what to ask for. Pretty cool!

I put the fodder in as a flat square as my birds enjoy breaking it up by themselves. It took awhile for some groups to really get into the fodder idea, so don't be discouraged if your birds look at you like you are crazy when you offer it to them. No, it's not as tasty as bread and scratch and other goodies, but it's healthy for them and they'll appreciate it once they get used to it. My turkeys were the most "new food challenged". I swear, turkeys think that anything....and I mean anything new in their environment is a snake. It can even be a new blend of grain......they start stretching their necks towards the offending object, at a safe distance.....feet dancing, whooping and whistling their turkey alarm until one brave bird decides that it's food. Silly birds. Fortunately, chickens aren't as dense. LOL The trick for me has been to just keep offering the new food until they take to it.

jchny2000 - were your lentils mixed into a grass seed or sprouted by themselves?
they were straight lentils from my cupboard, let them sprout a week, they smelled really tasty. (yep tasted them, yummy) they were all gone today, so somebody must have gave them a taste!
hu.gif

Called IFA today, to make sure they had it in stock....red wheat $12.99/50#, white wheat $14.99/50#, (I think I have it in the right order) barley 13.79/50#. So I am thinking I will get a bag of the cheaper wheat, then a bag of the barley, and sprinkle a little of the soaked barley seeds on top of the wheat seed base when I start it.....a sprinkle of BOSS too....will see how it goes. Oh look at the mad scientist that I am! (not :p) haha! This batch will be newer stuff though, should grow faster for sure. The old stuff works fine, just took about 10 days to get to the normal 6 day growth, and not as thick....not as many seeds germinated. I lucked out when I cleaned the shed out this morning, and found 6 more jiffy seed starter trays with clear tops, so using the clear tops under the black bottoms, with holes poked in the black bottoms. A little better plan than the foil. Woo hoo, here goes batch #2!

Last edited:
Thanks Chris.

Have to share something that just happened while I was rinsing mine this morning. I had my first one out on the counter where the sun can hit it, and my husband walks in, and says...yum, breakfast! He was actually partly serious. He says back in the day, they would put wheat in the crock pot, let it sit on med. through the night. Cereal in the morning. Oooh, I just can't imagine eating all that wheat at once! But he says they did, and handled it just fine. Probably because they had done that for a while.

Mine has a lot of green today! Yaay, I hope it gets tall enough to cut.
tongue.png
I know, maybe it's silly ~ to be so silly about this, but it sure is fun to have a new project that is a healthy project for my chickens. I have to write and tell Austin all about it. LOL... I haven't mentioned chickens once to him yet, and he probably can't believe it! Oh wait, this isn't my state forum..lol...I have a son that just left home, will be gone for a couple of years after his mission for our church. He heard a lot about my chickens and my eggs that were hatching. So, I have to wonder what he'll think when I finally bring them up again!

Thanks Chris.

Have to share something that just happened while I was rinsing mine this morning. I had my first one out on the counter where the sun can hit it, and my husband walks in, and says...yum, breakfast! He was actually partly serious. He says back in the day, they would put wheat in the crock pot, let it sit on med. through the night. Cereal in the morning. Oooh, I just can't imagine eating all that wheat at once! But he says they did, and handled it just fine. Probably because they had done that for a while.

Mine has a lot of green today! Yaay, I hope it gets tall enough to cut.
tongue.png
I know, maybe it's silly ~ to be so silly about this, but it sure is fun to have a new project that is a healthy project for my chickens. I have to write and tell Austin all about it. LOL... I haven't mentioned chickens once to him yet, and he probably can't believe it! Oh wait, this isn't my state forum..lol...I have a son that just left home, will be gone for a couple of years after his mission for our church. He heard a lot about my chickens and my eggs that were hatching. So, I have to wonder what he'll think when I finally bring them up again!
I'm sure that hearing his Mom talk about her chickens will bring a big smile to Austin's face and give him something from home while he's away.
smile.png

Oh Oh! Is that white fuzzy stuff I see on the two second one's I put out mold starting? I rinsed them real well and set them out in the sun. Will that be good enough, or should I toss those two?
I know what I did different. I really kept the paper towels soaked yesterday. I didn't do that with my first tray I had. I only rinsed them in the morning, then placed the wet towel over them, then sprayed again at night. Guess I over did! Anyway they are outside in the sun. Hope the rinsing and sun does the trick?

The sun can overheat your fodder. You want it to stay relatively cool to avoid drying out or molding. New roots can have a fuzzy appearance as well. ???

Back
Top Bottom